Weekly Post, Week of September 30, 2012
Post date: Oct 8, 2012 1:48:09 AM
Greetings Troop 737! I just returned from Graham Peterson’s Eagle Scout Court of Honor and I want to say congratulation again to Graham and his Family. This is a proud moment in his life and I wish him all the best.
Last week we had our troop elections with all the results now posted. I want to remind all newly elected troop leaders, as well as outgoing troop leaders leader that we have training and a PLC on Monday October 22 from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. Outgoing leaders and our new incoming SPL will train the incoming leaders. The final half hour of this training will be a PLC.
For our new Den Chiefs, you need a required all day training: “Den Chief Conference - Training for Den Chiefs (Scout's only) - All Day Course”, and for our new Leave No Trace Trainer, you need two training courses: “Leave No Trace for Boy Scouts - The Basics” and “Leave No Trace - Advanced - Adults and Scouts (3 Hour Course)”. You cannot get credit for these leadership positions without this training! The good news is that all of this training is available at the University of Scouting event on October 27th. Please go to this link: http://www.denverboyscouts.org/training/university-of-scouting/42460 for details and sign up. Please sign up on your own, and let me know who is going. I am sure that with so many new Den Chiefs and a new Leave no Trace Trainer, we should be able to put together a carpool with some of these parents.
Upcoming Signup Deadlines (see below for details):
· Monday October 8 is the Signup Deadline for the Wilderness Survival Campout on October 13 – 14
· Monday October 29 is the Signup Deadline for Winter Camp Training on October 2 – 3
The service patrol for October is the Falcons Patrol!! All members of the Falcons Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 to help set up for the meeting.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
Upcoming Activities and Sign up & Payment Deadlines:
Troop Meeting: Advancement Night and Campout Prep – Monday, October 8 @ 6:30PM at ELC:
· HALO: Mrs. Osborn
· Work on Merit Badges and other advancement opportunities.
· The PLC selected the following Merit Badges:
o Citizenship in the Nation
o Citizenship in the Community
o Family Life
o Home Repair
· Mrs. Osborn will pick the final list depending on counselor availability and other factors. Stay tuned for more announcements in the coming weeks.
· We will meet to discuss the wilderness survival campout on Saturday. If you are going, please pan on attending this meeting.
SM & ASM & HALOs for Upcoming Events Meeting/Committee Meeting – October 11, @ 6:30 PM at ELC:
· The ASM meeting starts at 6:30 PM and the committee meeting starts at 7:00 PM.
· This is going to be a very important meeting to discuss several items:
o Wilderness Survival Campout
o Denver After Dark
o Calendar review
o November Campout
o Winter Camp Training
o HALO’s – need to pick some HALOs for upcoming events so that we have coverage.
Wilderness Survival and Backpack Campout – October 13 - 14:
· HALO: Mr. Hoffman and Mr. Westfall
· Cost: $15 for food. We will have lunch, dinner and breakfast.
· The details of this trip have changed. We will be departing on Saturday morning instead of Friday evening and have a one overnight trip instead of two. We will discuss the detail more tomorrow evening.
· The exact details and days/times are still being worked out; stay tuned for more announcements and emails on this very fun campout.
· This is an all ages camping trip. We will teach and earn the wilderness survival merit badge.
Court of Honor – Monday, October 15 @ 6:30 PM at ELC in the Main Sanctuary:
· HALO: Mrs. Kline
· Scouts and Families are strongly encouraged to attend and help celebrate the successes our scouts had over the summer months while attending summer camps and working on their own.
Denver After Dark – October 19 - 20:
· HALO: Mr. Johnson
· This is not an event for everyone, it’s and all night adventure in the world of Denver after the normal 9 to 5 work day ends.
· Please see the following link for details; http://www.denverboyscouts.org/event/1211578
Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops, and a Patrol Leaders Council Meeting – Monday, October 22 @ 6:30 to 8:30 PM at ELC:
· This meeting is for all incoming and outgoing troop leaders. The outgoing leaders and th scoutmaster will take the incoming leaders through a training session designed to help get new leaders the skills they need to be successful.
· Then the new leaders will conduct a PLC with help from the outgoing leaders and plan the next month of scout meetings and activities.
Winter Camp Training – November 2 - 3:
· HALO: Mr. Moss and Mr. Robertson
· Winter Camp Training is required for all scouts and adults that will camp in the winter months; November - March. This one time training starts on Saturday morning for trainees, and includes a lunch prepared by our master scout and adult chefs. Expert training is conducted by Boy Scout experts that are very experienced in winter camping.
· Trainers will show up on Friday evening to prepare for the next day's training activity, and will sleep over with snacks and movies. Exact time and details will be worked out in October.
· We need to have our Quartermasters, troop guide, and all troop instructors sign up as trainers. I would also like to encourage all scouts that have been to winter camp training and winter campouts with our troop to sign up as trainers. This is a fun activity for the trainers that start with Friday evening preparation, followed by snacks and movies. All experienced winter camp scouts are welcome!