Weekly Post, Week of September 2, 2012
Post date: Sep 4, 2012 2:12:21 AM
Greetings Troop 737!
No troop meeting this week due to the Labor Day Holliday. I would like to take this opportunity to float the idea of changing the Garage and Trailer cleanup to one weekend later, September 15. I have just received the Conifer High cross country schedule and there is a conflict on September 8th. This will take all of our band members and all of our cross country members out of helping us with the garage. I would also like to go see Mitch run on the 8th and that would take me out of this important event. If you know of some reason why we should not change the date of the Garage and Trailer Cleanup to September 15th, please let me know. We have some adult volunteers that I want to hear from before we make this change.
The next event on the calendar is the Family 14er climb up Mount Bierstadt lead by the Palmer Family. Families are meeting at the ELC church at about 6AM. Please be on time, the sooner you start up the slope, the better your chance of making it up before possible storms move in. The required gear for this trip is your Ten Essentials. Where can you find a list of the ten essentials? Glad you asked; check out your scout book, they are listed under the camping section. You can also find the list on our website here:
Our next meeting is on September 10th. We have a room change for this meeting: We will meet in the room below our regular meeting room to give the Civil Air Patrol our room for a special presentation. Because this room is a little tighter than our normal room, we will have our opening in outside in our grove, move inside for our slide show and then back outside for our activity and closing. Be prepared for the weather. This is also your last chance to get your rank advancement completed in time to receive your award at the Court of Honor on September 24th. If you need a Scoutmaster Conference or Board of Review, you need to schedule this as soon as you show up at the meeting, or sooner! This will also be our campout prep meeting for the Denver Area Camporee on the weekend or September 22.
The service patrol for September is the Shark Patrol!! All members of the Shark Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 to help set up for the meeting.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
Upcoming Activities and Sign up & Payment Deadlines:
Troop Garage Cleanup – September 8 at 8 AM to about 10 AM at the troop garage (Date may change to September 15th):
· HALO: Mr. Summar
· We will be cleaning and inspecting all of our gear. Mr. Winters and the troop quartermasters will be in charge of the gear and cleanup. Mr. Summar is going to provide the food.
Fourteener Day Trip – September 9:
· HALO: Mrs. Palmer
· Where: Mount Bierstadt
· When: Sunday September 9th, exact time is TBD and will be discussed at the prep meeting.
· Details will be discussed at the preparation during the regular troop meeting on August 27th. All participants are strongly encouraged to attend. The prep session will start at about 7:30 PM
Troop Meeting – Philmont slide shows & Camporee Prep – September 10 at 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM at ELC:
Meeting will include:
· Slide show from both Philmont Crews
· Camporee prep: all scouts and adults attending the trip must participate in the prep.
· Outdoor Game and activity.
Patrol Leaders Council Meeting – Monday, September 17 @ 6:30 PM at ELC:
· Plan the next month of scout meetings and activities.
2012 Denver Area Council Camporee – September 21 to 23 – Cost $20 ($30) if you have not already signed up) plus food:
· HALO: Mr. Hoffman
· Where: Peaceful Valley
· What: There will be over 100 scouting activities commemorating 100 years of scouting in Denver. There will be in excess of 5000 scouts and scouters in attendance. This is a good way to get an idea of what a National or World Jamboree would be like. This is one of the larger council Camporee in the US.
Court of Honor – Monday, September 24 @ 6:30 PM at ELC in the Outdoor Worship Area:
· HALO: We need an adult volunteer to HALO this event!!!
· Scouts and Families are strongly encouraged to attend and help celebrate the successes our scouts had over the summer months while attending summer camps and working on their own.