Weekly Post, Week of May 19, 2013
Post date: May 19, 2013 1:37:46 PM
Greetings Troop 737!! We are at our last meeting of the program year, our final Court of Honor of the school year. I hope to see you all there to close out what I think was a very good scout year. We still have plenty going on over the summer; Camps, backpacking trip planning meeting and the Grove Sale. Read below and during the summer to up to date on what is happening.
This coming Memorial Day we have a special opportunity to honor those who have fallen in service to our freedom. We have placed flags on the graves of our local heroes for the past three or four years now, and Mr. Gutierrez is continuing that tradition this year. Please see below and help Troop 737 Honor these veterans by helping to place flags this Friday and Saturday morning. This only takes a few hours and means so much to our veterans. See below for details.
Upcoming Signup Deadlines (see below for details):
· Idaho Summer Camp final Payment: May 12. Total cost for the week is $190. Most scouts owe the balance from the $95 already paid. There will also be travel costs for this camp. Last time it came to about $50 dollars per scout. The HALOs are busy working the last minute details out.
The service patrol for May is the NFE Patrol. All members of the NFE Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 PM to help set up for the meeting. The Serpents will be teaching the Barracudas how to be a service patrol in the future.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
Court of Honor – Monday, May 20th @ 6:30 to 8:00 PM at ELC (outside):
· HALOs: Mr. and Mrs. Borns
· We will have our Court outside in the outdoor worship area on the north side of the church house.
· Theme: Super Heroes: come as your favorite super hero as your outer layer of clothing. Remember, you must shed your super hero garb to receive your awards and rank advancement in your Class A Uniform.
· Masters of Ceremony: Sawyer and Ethan Halingstad, Joey Bremer and Devon Thompson
· Patrol Food List:
o Autobots: Assorted Candy
o Flaming Eagles: Drinks
o Panthers: Super Hero Cake
o Stags: Drinks
o Serpents: Vegetable Tray and Dip
o Titans: Sherbet
o NFE: Chips & Salsa
o Falcons: Cookies
o Sharks: Fruit Tray
o Barracudas: Beef Jerky
o Wolverines: Gummy Lifesavers
Annual Memorial Day Flag Placement; Friday and Saturday, May 24th and 25th:
· HALO: Mr. Gutierrez
· It is that time of the year again and I am hoping to carry on a wonderful community tradition in memory of Ralph Evans, one of the founders of Troop 737 and a WWII Army Air Corp veteran. We will be placing American flags on the graves of all veterans at the two Evergreen cemeteries. I would like to get the flags in place by Saturday, May 25th. My thoughts are to assemble at 5:00pm on Friday, May 24th to handle the placement of flags at the Old Evergreen Cemetery next to Christ the King Catholic Church located on Hwy 74 just above Evergreen Lake. We will assemble at the Evergreen Memorial Park on Saturday, May 25th, at 9:00am.
· This is a great way to support our community and honor our fallen veterans. And… earn service hours toward rank advancement. Please let me know your availability as soon as possible for Friday afternoon, May 24th and Saturday morning, May 25th. I look forward to hearing back from many of you. Should you have any questions, please feel free in contacting me. Of course, living in Colorado, always be prepared for the weather. The flag placement will be completed, come rain, snow, or shine. "Be Prepared."
Annual Scout Planning Meeting; June 1, 2013 @ 8:00 to Noon @ TBD:
· This is your chance to plan what activities we will do as a troop next year. The PLC would like each scout to come prepared with six suggestions for the troop. If you want a say in what this troop will do for the entire 2013-2014 program year, you need to participate.
· Save this morning. We are still working out the location and details, but we want to hold our planning meeting earlier this year due to Boundary Waters.
· We will have more details very soon!
June Backpacking Trip – Friday – Sunday, June 7th – June 9th:
· HALO: Mr. Catterson
· Meet at ELC at 1pm on Friday June 7th
· We will be backpacking in 3 miles into the Lost Creek Wilderness area from the Goose Creek entrance near Deckers.
· Saturday will be spent exploring and doing day hikes. We will also spend some time working on requirements and scout skills.
· Sunday we will cook a good breakfast. Then pack up and head back.
· Estimated arrival time will be early afternoon.
· The hike is not real strenuous so all scouts are invited to come.
· Mandatory campout prep and equipment check will be Monday June 3rd. If you do not attend this meeting you cannot go on the trip. Every scout will be expected to have his own backpack, sleeping bag and pad, utensils and 10 essentials. The troop will provide tents, stoves and cooking utensils, but if you have some of your own, please bring them. A more complete list will be put together later.
· The sign-up sheet will be available at the next meeting.
Ben Delatour Parent’s only Meeting; June 3, 2012, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· This parent’s only meeting is designed to let parents know what summer camp is like, and how Troop 737 conducts a summer camp trip. This is your chance to get a lot of valuable information about peaceful Valley and summer camp and to ask any questions you might have. You will not want to miss this meeting.
· Please note that this meeting is parents only so that we can talk privately about some important and sometimes candid health and safety issues; please do not bring scouts and siblings.
· For Idaho, no meeting required on this date. You will meet one time on June 24th.
Ben Delatour & Idaho Parent’s and Scout’s Meeting; June 24, 2012, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· This meeting is to let scouts know what to expect on departure day and at camp. We will let you know about banking your spending money, what to pack, and what else to expect on this adventure. Please plan on participating in the meeting.
· For Idaho camp, this is your one and only meeting to work out final details and pass final information.
Island Park Summer Camp, out of state, July 6-14:
· HALO: Mrs. Fizgerald, Mr. Kleist, Mr. Martin, Mrs. Wilkinson
· This out of state adventure is mostly for mostly older scouts, year three and up. This camp is outside the west entrance of Yellowstone and is a two day trip to and from camp. The troop leaves on Saturday, July 6, and arrives back on Sunday, July 14. It is a full 12 hour drive so we need parents to drive and stay for the week.
Camp Ben Delatour Summer Camp, in state, July 14-20:
· HALO: Mr. Snyder, Mr. Gutierrez, Mr. Auer, Mrs. Baty
· Camp Ben Delatour is in the Red Feather Lakes region west of Fort Collins. This camp is for first and second year scouts and any other older scouts that will be working on Trail to First Class and/or Merit Badges.