Weekly Post, Week of February 3, 2013
Post date: Feb 2, 2013 9:02:36 PM
Greetings Troop 737! All reports from the Mystery Campout, which is no longer a mystery, were that it was a fantastic success for all scouts. A big thank you needs to go to Mr. Osborn and Mr. McCabe. They came up with great ideas for all ages and set the standard for mystery campouts at T737 for years to come!!
On Monday, the PLC met and did a great job planning for some upcoming meetings. We have a busy schedule starting on Monday and into the rest of February and March. We start with a Court of Honor on Monday, and then in February; Advancement, OA Elections and Troop Elections. In between these important meetings, we have a ski day next weekend, and the annual Timberline Klondike Winter Campout at the end of the month. This is all capped off with our annual New Scout and Parent Orientation at the beginning of March. Then, in between all this stuff we are doing, there will be several more WEBELOS Crossovers to help with, and new scouts to organize and start teaching. Pay attention to the frequent announcements and the calendar on our web site. “Be Prepared” to pitch in where ever you can!
Upcoming Signup Deadlines (see below for details):
· Re-charter – Deadline already past.
· Ski Day at Loveland – Signup Deadline February 4th at the Court of Honor
· Timberline District Klondike – Signup Deadline February 11th
The service patrol for February is the Falcons!! All members of the Falcons Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 PM to help set up for the meeting.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
Scout Sunday – Sunday, February 3th @ 10:30 AM Service at ELC:
· HALO: Mr. Gutz. Thank you Mr. Gutz!!!!!
· Scouts are signed up and ready to go, Mr. Gutz has the cake and we are a go for Scout Sunday at ELC
Court of Honor – Monday, February 4th @ 6:30 to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· HALOs: Mr. Carmen and Mrs. Kline
· Theme is Super Bowl
· Our Court of Honor MCs are Jack Winters and Cole Wagenhals
· All patrols are to bring in their snack foods as planed and assigned at our last meeting.
· Our SPL, Jack Winters is starting the phone tree this weekend; all scouts should expect to get a call from their patrol leaders to confirm the assigned snack and to pass some additional scouting messages for the COH.
· We will also do Ski Day Prep after the court.
· See below - At the end of the COH, the ASM’s and committee need to huddle up to discuss the FEMA service opportunity. We have to decide if we can support this event. Two opportunities that we could support were canceled, now we have conflicts and this puts us in a bind as we start a very busy program spring and summer.
Ski Day at Loveland – Saturday, February 9th:
· HALO: Mr. Peterson and Mr. Roberts.
· Cost is $35 for scouts and $40 for adults.
· In the morning, we will work on the Snow Sport Merit Badge for those of you that don’t already have it. If you do have it, please plan on working as a teacher for the morning.
· In the afternoon, we will have Free Ski where groups of scouts ski on their own. The buddy system will be strictly enforced!!
Troop Meeting: Advancement – Monday, February 11th @ 6:30 to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· The PLC has given Mrs. Osborn the request of merit badges that the troop wants to work on, and as soon as she lines up the counselors, I will post it.
· Work on Baden Powel (Trail to First Class) for new scouts.
FEMA Training Meeting: Monday, February 11 @ 6:30PM for 90 minutes, at DAC Headquarters:
· This is another reschedule of the meeting that we tried to attend in December but was canceled twice already.
· Our ASM that was supporting this is still highly motivated, but a work commitment will have him traveling on this day. We need a fill in.
· Scouts too have a problem with this meeting day and time. It is during their first meeting of a new advancement cycle, which they really should not miss if they expect to earn the merit badges they are signed up for.
· The ASM’s and committee need to huddle up on this at the Court of Honor. We have to decide if we can support this event. Two opportunities that we could support were canceled and this puts us in a bind as we start a very busy program spring and summer.
SM & ASM & HALOs for Upcoming Events Meeting/Committee Meeting – February (14 – looking to change this, probably Feb 13th instead!), @ 6:30 PM at ELC:
· The ASM meeting starts at 6:30 PM and the committee meeting starts at 7:15 PM.
· Agenda will be coming shortly, however here are a few items I already know we need to discuss:
o FEMA Training
o OA & Troop Elections
o Crossovers – WEBELOS Recruitment
o New Scout Orientation – in detail
o New Scout Campout – continued planning
o Quinzee campout – initial planning; need to reserve a spot at Tahosa!
o Summer Camps
Troop Meeting: OA Elections – Monday, February 18th @ 6:30 to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· OA Elections and Call Out
o We will need maximum troop attendance for the elections. We will have an OA presentation by the Running Antelope Chapter.
o We will need 4-5 current OA Members to help with the elections - please see Mr. Johnson.
· Klondike Campout Prep
Timberline District Klondike – Friday, February 22 – Sunday, February 24:
· HALO: Mr. Riley
· Planning has started and more details will follow shortly. Sign up now, don’t wait.
· New Scouts and other scouts that did not complete winter campout training are invited to join the troop early on Saturday morning, for breakfast, and stay through dinner and campfire until it’s time for scouts to turn in for the night.
Camp Ben Delatour Summer Camp, in state, July 14-20:
· HALO: TBD
· Camp Ben Delatour is in the Red Feather Lakes region west of Fort Collins. This camp is for first and second year scouts and any other older scouts that will be working on Trail to First Class and/or Merit Badges.
Island Park Summer Camp, out of state, July 6-14:
· HALO: TBD
· This out of state adventure is mostly for mostly older scouts, year three and up. This camp is outside the west entrance of Yellowstone and is a two day trip to and from camp. The troop leaves on Saturday, July 6, and arrives back on Sunday, July 14. It is a full 12 hour drive so we need parents to drive and stay for the week.