Weekly Post, Week of February 19, 2012
Post date: Feb 20, 2012 4:32:33 PM
Greetings Troop 737! Last week we had our first WEBELOS crossover, with Pack 400, where five new scouts joined our troop. I would like to thank everyone that helped out with the crossover (I think I have one or two scouts too many, but this is the best information I have right now):
- Mr. Osborn
- Mr. McCabe
- Kyle Fitzgerald
- Grant Wilkinson
- Cameron Fitzgerald
- Joe McCabe
- Brandon Martin
- Aden Osborn
From Mr. Osborn:
The first crossover ceremony is under our belt! Kyle was put in charge of four scouts and did a great job. We handed him the bridge to assemble, the neckerchiefs, and the welcome packets and told him to get the other boys involved and decide how they were going greet the new scouts. He ate a huge plate of spaghetti, pre-rolled the neckerchiefs, formed a greeting line and welcomed the new boys well.
Alan and I stood back and watched proudly.
This week we have a regular troop meeting, where we take care of the Klondike Campout Preparations. We will be working on the sleds and planning our meals. I will be meeting with about five scouts for conferences during that time also, so we will be pretty busy.
Next weekend we will be at Klondike until about 1 PM on Sunday, and then we will conduct a meeting on Sunday evening for those scouts going to Philmont. Therefore, this weekly post will cover a two week time period as I will have little time next weekend to write a new one. This one will be retransmitted.
Below is the schedule for when the Uniform Table will be set up for the rest of the year. I want to remind everyone that they must have at least one Class B, uniform Tee Shirt, and I know that many of last year’s new scouts don’t have these yet. I recommend two for every scout going to summer camp! There are also a variety of other scout uniform items including troop hats, sweat shirts, neckerchiefs, etc. Please plan on stopping by next time it is set up:
· March 19th
· April 9th
· May 7th
The PLC discussed our uniform policy and will be discussing this topic with the troop during the next meeting, and upcoming meetings.
Because it is so important, I would like to repeat the information about Big Horn and Wood Badge. Please see the information at the bottom of this post.
It is troop policy to have all of our senior patrol leaders and assistants Bighorn trained. In addition to making you eligible for these positions, it is one of the best leadership trainings you can attend as youth. This can be used on your college applications, right next to your Eagle Scout!!!
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
The service patrol for February will be the Nuclear Flaming Eagles!! All members of the Nuclear Flaming Eagles Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 to help set up for the meeting.
Upcoming Activities and Sign up & Payment Deadlines:
Troop Meeting – February 20th, 2012 at ELC:
· Campout Prep
· Uniform Discussion & Demonstration
· Sea Base
Timberline District Klondike - February 24 - 26, 2012 at ELC:
· Sign up deadline has been extended to February 20th.
· HALO: Mr. Riley
· Cost: $25: $10 for district registration and $15 for meals and transportation costs.
Troop Meeting – Advancement – February 27th at ELC:
· HALO: Mrs. Anderson
· Mr. Hoffman will be away on business, and Mr. Catterson will be the Assistant Scoutmaster in Charge of this meeting.
Pack 39 WEBELOS Crossover – February 28th, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Mr. McCabe and Mr. Osborn
· We need several scouts to conduct the crossover ceremony at the Pack meeting.
· We will try to get a signup sheet out this week. This is a great activity for first or second year scouts to visit their old Pack.
New Scout and Parent Orientation – March 3rd at ELC, 8:30 AM until about 3 PM
· HALO: Mr. Catterson
· Lunch and a snack will be provided.
· Cost: $5 per scout and parent participant for lunch and snack.
· Scout trainers show up at 7:30 PM on Friday evening for preparations and a sleepover. Eat dinner before you come and bring snacks and your movies.
Troop Meeting – Troop Elections - March 5, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Mrs. Roche
· From Mrs. Roche:
Troop elections are coming up on Monday, March 5th. Most rank advancements (Star, Life & Eagle) require that a scout hold a leadership position for 6 months. This is your chance to sign up for a leadership position and fulfill the rank advancement requirement. Please go to the troop website (www.themountaintroop.com) and click on Scout Positions under the Leadership/Volunteering heading along the left side of the home page and read about the positions available. There will be descriptions and sign up sheets at the next couple of Monday meetings.
Quinzee Campout – March 10 & 11, 2012 at Tahosa:
· Sign up deadline February 27th.
· HALO: Mr. Trower
· Cost: $15 for meals and transportation costs.
· We will meet very early on Saturday Morning. Exact time is still TBD.
Peaceful Valley Summer Camp; July 08 to 14, 2012:
· HALOs: Steve Stalter and Allan McCabe
· The Signup and Payment Deadlines are rapidly approaching. The HALOs will be getting the registration login information soon and shortly after that will begin inputting names. Registration for Merit Badges is still a few months away, but you want to have your name entered so that on the day registration opens, the HALOs will be able to sign you up for your first choices.
· Cost: The fee for each scout for summer camp is $250. A$30 deposit is required for each scout to put their names in and we can register scouts on the Peaceful Valley Web Site as we get the deposit. The payment schedule is as follows:
o As soon as possible, a $30 deposit. We will register scouts by name as soon as we get this deposit
o March 5th, 30% including the $30 deposit.
o April 2nd,the next 30%
o May 7th, the final 30%
o The fee for the adults still needs to be determined by the number going. We get the first two slots for free, so we have some options.
District and Council News and Upcoming Activities:
2012 Big Horn Information: Summer 2012 dates are posted. If you are interested, more information will posted as it comes out. This training is required for all Scouts desiring to hold the Senior Patrol leader position.
Wood Badge Training - This course is offered in two parts. You must attend both weekends. Friday-Sunday April 13-15, 2012 and April 27-29, 2012.
Please go to this link for more details and registration information: http://www.timberlinedistrict.com/registration/calendardetail.asp?ActivityKey=1045319.
As always, please read the troop web site, especially the calendar, for the most current information on all upcoming and scheduled events.