Weekly Post, Week of April 28, 2013
Post date: Apr 27, 2013 3:11:01 PM
Greetings Troop 737! Today is our Scout Show, many thanks to Mr. Westfall for all he has done to put this together, along with the NSC to make both events a success.
Please pay special attention to the swim check details for our Monday meeting, it is a big change from the normal routine of meeting at our church.
WE have a lot going on to end our regular program year and before we go to Summer Camp. Please see below and pay attention to changes, they happen fast!
Upcoming Signup Deadlines (see below for details):
· Summer Camps; signup and final payment due by May 1. This is critical, please make sure you are signed up and paid up, or you may be assessed a late payment penalty of $40.
· Church Cleanup day: May 4th, ELC. Again, this is critical, we as a troop owe it to our Church sponsor as a way to say thank you for the facility that we enjoy almost weekly.
Uniform Night – May 6th – Last Chance to purchase T737 uniform items before summer camp. Parents, bring your checkbooks to the meeting on May 6th because Mrs. Force will be selling uniforms from 6:30 until 7:45. This includes used Class A uniforms as well as new Class B. She will also have our brand new 40 year "737" patches which are $4. It would help her immensely if you would use this time to take care of any final uniform needs in preparation for summer camps. She will not be setting up the "store" again until the fall. Please be sure you see her PRIOR to 7:45, as she needs time to box everything back up and get it stored away before the meeting ends.
The service patrol for April is the Wolverines and Stags Patrols. All members of the Wolverines and Stags Patrols should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 PM to help set up for the meeting. The Serpents will be teaching the Barracudas how to be a service patrol in the future.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
Swim Check & PLC Meeting – Monday, April 29th @ 7:30 to 8:30 PM at Wulf Rec. Center:
· Swim Check
· HALO: Mrs. Baty
o Where: Wulf Rec. Center, Evergreen
o When: During free swim time from 7:30 to 8:45 PM on Monday April 29th.
o What to bring: Money; $3.00 for entry at free swim time, your swim suit, you should be wearing it! A towel and your book!!
o Who: For all scouts going to Delatour and all scouts that need their Second and First Class swim requirements. Scouts going to Idaho do not need to take the swim check; you will have to do it there anyway.
o Arrive early, pay and be ready to swim at 7:30.
o If you do not do a swim check on Monday, you will have to do it in the lake at Camp, and there will be no opportunity to do your requirements at camp. This is a good deal for first year scouts!!!
· PLC: Starts promptly at 6:30 PM at ELC and ends promptly at 7:30 PM. Scouts that need to go to the swim check will be released early so parents can get them over to the pool by 730. We plan the last program month of the school year. Including the final Court of Honor.
Church Cleanup Day – May 4th @ 8:00 to 12:00 PM at ELC
· HALO: Mr. Pond
· We are planning to cook our own lunch for this event, so we will need adult volunteers to get the food and do some cooking on the morning of the event.
· All scouts should put this event on the family calendar and plan on attending. This is one of three events that our chartered organization asks us to support. It is our responsibility to help the church and this is one way we show our support for all they do for us.
Troop Meeting: Advancement & Uniform Sales Night – Monday, May 6th @ 6:30 to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· HALO: Mrs. Osborn
· Advancement: Merit Badges and Baden Powell
· Scoutmaster Conferences & BORs
· Last Chance to finish rank and merit badge requirements in time to get the award at the COH.
· Uniform Sales: Please see above for details. LAST CHANCE TO PURCHASE BEFORE SUMMER CAMP! Sales end promptly at 7:45 PM!
SM & ASM & HALOs for Upcoming Events/Committee/Parents Meeting – May 9th, @ 6:30 PM at ELC:
· The ASM meeting starts at 6:30 PM and the committee meeting starts at 7:15 PM.
· All Parents are invited and encouraged to attend any and all parts of both meetings.
· Agenda is:
o Wellington Lake Campout – Detailed Planning
o Summer Camps – It’s time to start assigning Jobs to the HALOs and finish planning both camps.
o May Court Of Honor
o Grove Sale if needed.
Troop Meeting: Last Regular Meeting of the Year & Campout Prep – Monday, May 13th @ 6:30 to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· Details TBD
May Campout at Wellington Lake – Friday, May 17th – Sunday, May 19th:
· HALO: Mrs. Riley
· Mrs. Riley is looking into a new venue for our May campout. Steamboat will not work because the State Park is usually still under as much as four feet of snow in mid May. Stay tuned and we will let you know where we are going shortly.
Court of Honor – Monday, May 20th @ 6:30 to 8:00 PM at ELC (outside):
· HALOs: Mr. and Mrs. Borns
· Details TBD
· We will have our Court outside in the outdoor worship area on the north side of the church house.
Annual Scout Planning Meeting; June 1, 2013 @ 8:00 to Noon @ TBD:
· This is your chance to plan what activities we will do as a troop next year. The PLC would like each scout to come prepared with six suggestions for the troop. If you want a say in what this troop will do for the entire 2013-2014 program year, you need to participate.
· Save this morning. We are still working out the location and details, but we want to hold our planning meeting earlier this year due to Boundary Waters.
· We will have more details very soon!
June Backpacking Trip – Friday – Sunday, June 7th – June 9th:
· HALO: Mr. Catterson
· Meet at ELC at 1pm on Friday June 7th
· We will be backpacking in 3 miles into the Lost Creek Wilderness area from the Goose Creek entrance near Deckers.
· Saturday will be spent exploring and doing day hikes. We will also spend some time working on requirements and scout skills.
· Sunday we will cook a good breakfast. Then pack up and head back.
· Estimated arrival time will be early afternoon.
· The hike is not real strenuous so all scouts are invited to come.
· Mandatory campout prep and equipment check will be Monday June 3rd. If you do not attend this meeting you cannot go on the trip. Every scout will be expected to have his own backpack, sleeping bag and pad, utensils and 10 essentials. The troop will provide tents, stoves and cooking utensils, but if you have some of your own, please bring them. A more complete list will be put together later.
· The sign-up sheet will be available at the next meeting.
Ben Delatour Parent’s only Meeting; June 3, 2012, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· This parent’s only meeting is designed to let parents know what summer camp is like, and how Troop 737 conducts a summer camp trip. This is your chance to get a lot of valuable information about peaceful Valley and summer camp and to ask any questions you might have. You will not want to miss this meeting.
· Please note that this meeting is parents only so that we can talk privately about some important and sometimes candid health and safety issues; please do not bring scouts and siblings.
· For Idaho, no meeting required on this date. You will meet one time on June 24th.
Ben Delatour & Idaho Parent’s and Scout’s Meeting; June 24, 2012, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· This meeting is to let scouts know what to expect on departure day and at camp. We will let you know about banking your spending money, what to pack, and what else to expect on this adventure. Please plan on participating in the meeting.
· For Idaho camp, this is your one and only meeting to work out final details and pass final information.
Island Park Summer Camp, out of state, July 6-14:
· HALO: Mrs. Fizgerald, Mr. Kleist, Mr. Martin, Mrs. Wilkinson
· This out of state adventure is mostly for mostly older scouts, year three and up. This camp is outside the west entrance of Yellowstone and is a two day trip to and from camp. The troop leaves on Saturday, July 6, and arrives back on Sunday, July 14. It is a full 12 hour drive so we need parents to drive and stay for the week.
Camp Ben Delatour Summer Camp, in state, July 14-20:
· HALO: Mr. Snyder, Mr. Gutierrez, Mr. Auer, Mrs. Baty
· Camp Ben Delatour is in the Red Feather Lakes region west of Fort Collins. This camp is for first and second year scouts and any other older scouts that will be working on Trail to First Class and/or Merit Badges.