Weekly Post, Week of April 22 & April 29, 2012
Post date: Apr 20, 2012 4:12:43 PM
Greetings Troop 737! Greetings Troop 737! I am again sending this post out early, and to cover a two week time span because I will be at the New Scout Campout & Wood Badge over the next two weekends. There is a lot going on for the rest of the year, please read below and check the troop Web Site, especially the calendar.
Note to Physical Fitness Merit Badge participants: Mrs. Roche cannot make the April 26th date. We need several parents to of participating scouts to step up and help out. If we can’t get some parents to volunteer to do this, we will have to cancel this session. Please let Mrs. Roche know if you can do this.
As a troop, we have not been doing a great job wearing our uniforms. I have been assured by the PLC that they will be setting the example!
From Mrs. Force:
Scouts/Parents, please remember that you can turn in your "experienced" (aka used) uniforms for credit. The amount given is the amount we would sell your "experienced" items for. For instance, if you turn in a dark green Class B t-shirt, you will receive $3 credit. Dark green hoodies give $5 credit. I will have the FULL booth set up on May 7th, which includes all of the used items we have. Keep this in mind if you are in the market for any Class A items. To see a listing of what is currently available, along with photos and prices, please visit the Uniform Inventory link in the "Troop Members Only" section of the website.
If you don’t have a Class B Tee Shirt, please make sure to purchase one. We will need to wear our Class B Tee Shirts at many activities as spring and summer approach; Church Cleanup Day, Scout Show and Summer Camp to name just a few.
Below is the schedule for the Uniform Table at regular troop meetings for the rest of the year.
· May 7th
The service patrol for April will be the Stags!! All members of the Stags Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 to help set up for the meeting.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
Upcoming Activities and Sign up & Payment Deadlines:
Troop Meeting – Advancement; April 23, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· All scouts are expected to participate in advancement and not wander around the church with nothing to do. If you are wandering, expect to be asked to participate in some way.
· Scheduled Scoutmaster Conferences: None yet
· Boards of Review: I know we have one or two already scheduled.
Personal Fitness Merit Badge – is still ongoing, March through May ELC
· HALO: Mrs. Roche
· Mrs. Roche cannot make the April 26th date. We need several parents to of participating scouts to step up and help out. If we can’t get some parents to volunteer to do this, we will have to cancel this session.
· Here is the schedule, these dates are also on the calendar:
o Thursday April 26th @ 7:00 PM – Progress testing and requirement # 9.
o Thursday May 10th @ 7:00 PM – Progress testing only.
o Friday May 25th @ 7:00 PM – REQUIRED! Final testing and requirement # 8.
New Scout Campout; April 20 - 22, 2012 at Fort Lupton – cost is $30 per participant:
· Meeting Location and Time:
o Instructors and older scouts: ELC on Friday @ 6:00 PM
o New Scouts and parents: ELC on Saturday @ 7:00 AM
· HALO: Mr. Catterson
· Uniform for this campout will be Class A for traveling and Class B during the activities on Saturday and Sunday.
Scout Night with the Rapids; April 21, 7:00 PM at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, 6000 Victory Way, Commerce City, CO (map):
· For any soccer enthusiasts that are not going to the New Scout Campout, the Rapids are holding one of their 2012 Scout Nights. See Mrs. Riley’s email, or go to our calendar for details and the flyer.
Pack 642 Crossover; April 26th
· HALOs – Mr. Osborn and Mr. McCabe
· We need scout volunteers to help us cross over 7 new scouts to Troop 737.
· Here's the plan for Pack 642's crossover on 4/26/12:
§ 6:15 pm – Meeting starts: Scoutmaster Jeff Weist introduces the Color Guard
§ The WeBeLo II’s will perform the flag ceremony with me (Den Leader) as the Color Guard Commander.
§ 6:20 pm - Jeff Weist will say something about the importance of the Crossover/AOL Ceremony.
§ 6:25 pm - Kent Harris will say a few words.
§ 6:30 pm - Ceremonies begin: Jeff Weist will introduce J.C. Bear (performs an Arrow of Light & narrates pre-Bridge ceremonies)
§ 7:15 pm – Cake and Punch
· Since we're planning on using Troop 737's bridge, I would suggest 737 Boy Scouts showing up at 5:30-5:45 (to set up the bridge), and the 888 Boy Scouts shortly thereafter...that way any coordination with J.C. Bear on the ceremonies can be discussed.
Scout Show; April 28, Meet Time and location are still TBD:
· HALO: Mr. McClean
· The PLC has met and decided that we will be cooking and serving one of our troop specialties: Smacos! This is a huge amount of fun and a great tradition for Troop 737. All interested scouts should sign up this week. More details will be sent shortly.
Last PLC Meeting of the School Year: April 30, 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM at ELC:
· All members of the PLC are expected to come to the PLC meeting. If you can’t for some reason, please arrange for a substitute. For patrol leaders, this is your assistant patrol leader. For the SPL, please make sure that one or more of your ASPLs are present.
· We need to plan the final Court of Honor, so we need to have the following scouts and adults present:
2. ASPL of special events
3. Two MCs, Mason Force and Mitch Hoffman
· Planning for the rest of the year’s events
· Planning for the “Troop Planning Meeting for 2012-2013” year.
Church Cleanup Day; May 05, 8:00 AM at ELC:
· HALO: Mr. Wagonhals
· This is an annual event where we help our chartered organization with their annual cleanup of the church and grounds. This is a required event for all scouts to give back to the church for all they do for us. No details have been developed yet, but stay tuned for much more on this in the weeks ahead.
· Uniform for this event will be Class B. Please make sure to have your tee shirt purchased prior to this event.
Arkansas River Rafting Campout; May 11 - 13, 2012 at Salida CO:
· HALOs: Mr. and Mrs. Kraft
· Details are still being worked out, but this late season campout will be a great spring trip in the Rockies. We are planning to float the Arkansas or hike the Rockies. New scouts will take their five mile hike with the scoutmaster while second year and older scouts have an opportunity to raft on the river.
· Stay tuned as more details are worked out.
Peaceful Valley Summer Camp; July 08 to 14, 2012:
· HALOs: Steve Stalter and Allan McCabe
· The Signup and Payment Deadlines are rapidly approaching. The HALOs will be getting the registration login information soon and shortly after that will begin inputting names. Registration for Merit Badges is still a few months away, but you want to have your name entered so that on the day registration opens, the HALOs will be able to sign you up for your first choices.
· Cost: The fee for each scout for summer camp is $250. A$30 deposit is required for each scout to put their names in and we can register scouts on the Peaceful Valley Web Site as we get the deposit. The payment schedule is as follows:
o As soon as possible, a $30 deposit. We will register scouts by name as soon as we get this deposit
o March 5th, 30% including the $30 deposit.
o April 2nd,the next 30%
o May 7th, the final 30%
o The fee for the adults still needs to be determined by the number going. We get the first two slots for free, so we have some options.
District and Council News and Upcoming Activities:
2012 Big Horn Information: Summer 2012 dates are posted. If you are interested, more information will posted as it comes out. This training is required for all Scouts desiring to hold the Senior Patrol leader position.
As always, please read the troop web site, especially the calendar, for the most current information on all upcoming and scheduled events.