Weekly Post, Week of April 16, 2012
Post date: Apr 12, 2012 4:05:32 PM
Greetings Troop 737! Greetings Troop 737! I am sending this post out early because I will be at Woodbadge all weekend until late on Sunday, and will have no time to work on this over the weekend. There is a lot going on for the rest of the year, please read below and check the troop Web Site, especially the calendar.
First order of business: Congratulations to our latest Eagle Scout: Parker Trower. He has accomplished a long time goal of becoming an Eagle Scout and deserves our congratulations and respect. I know that Parker wants to remain active in the troop, and we look forward to his help and guidance as an Eagle Scout!
Please note, I will be going to the Woodbadge training course on Friday, April 13 through April 15, and again on April 27 through April 29 and will not be available to participate in any troop activities during these weekends, including the scout show. I will try to get the weekly posts completed before, during or after these weekends.
As a troop, we have not been doing a great job wearing our uniforms. I have been assured by the PLC that they will be setting the example!
If you don’t have a Class B Tee Shirt, please make sure to purchase one. We will need to wear our Class B Tee Shirts at many activities as spring and summer approach; New Scout Campout, Church Cleanup Day, Scout Show and Summer Camp to name just a few.
Below is the schedule for the Uniform Table at regular troop meetings for the rest of the year.
· May 7th
The service patrol for April will be the Stags!! All members of the Stags Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 to help set up for the meeting.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
Upcoming Activities and Sign up & Payment Deadlines:
Troop Meeting – Campout Prep & Bicycle Rodeo; April 16, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· Bicycle Rodeo: Nick Mizenko will be coordinating a bicycle rodeo in the lower parking lot. Bring your bicycles and helmets if you want to participate. No one may ride a bicycle without a helmet!
· Campout Prep - While the rodeo is starting, we will be preparing for the new scout campout. When we finish, we can move outside and participate in the Rodeo.
· All scouts are expected to participate in these activities.
· Scheduled Scoutmaster Conferences: David M., Gabe, and Cole
· Boards of Review: Did anyone schedule one?
Personal Fitness Merit Badge – is still ongoing, March through May ELC
· HALO: Mrs. Roche
· Here is the schedule, these dates are also on the calendar:
o Thursday April 12th @ 7:00 PM – Progress testing and requirement # 1.
o Thursday April 26th @ 7:00 PM – Progress testing and requirement # 9.
o Thursday May 10th @ 7:00 PM – Progress testing only.
o Friday May 25th @ 7:00 PM – REQUIRED! Final testing and requirement # 8.
New Scout Campout; April 20 - 22, 2012 at Fort Lupton – cost is $30 per participant:
· Meeting Location and Time:
o Instructors and older scouts: ELC on Friday @ 5:30 PM
o New Scouts and parents: ELC on Saturday @ 7 AM
· HALO: Mr. Catterson
· This campout has something for everyone! All scouts should plan on attending this fun filled weekend campout.
· The goal of this campout is to give our new scouts a very big head start on rank advancement. All new scouts that work hard and participate in all of the skills sessions taught by our older scouts will make Tenderfoot by the end of the weekend. They will learn all of the basic outdoor skills necessary to camp with the troop.
· We have invited several new troops from Denver that are trying to get a start in scouting. We will essentially adopt these troops into our new scout training sessions and our evening activities; dinner and the campfire. So far, only one troop has responded that they are coming.
· For older scouts that need service project time, we will participate in a service project to help the Historical Society in their efforts to maintain and improve the park. This project will take several hours between Breakfast and Lunch. We may be able to cycle instructors with service project participants so everyone has an opportunity for both activities.
· There will be other activities: a tour of the fort and black powder shooting to name two.
· And finally, there is the pig. We will try to cook a pig again this year. I am looking for an adult leader to learn the ins and outs of pig cooking so they can take over for me next year. It is time for me to pass the pig cooking tradition on to someone else.
· Uniform for this campout will be Class A for traveling and Class B during the activities on Saturday and Sunday.
Scout Night with the Rapids; April 21, 7:00 PM at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, 6000 Victory Way, Commerce City, CO (map):
· For any soccer enthusiasts that are not going to the New Scout Campout, the Rapids are holding one of their 2012 Scout Nights. See Mrs. Riley’s email, or go to our calendar for details and the flyer.
Pack 642 Crossover; April 26th
· HALOs – Mr. Osborn and Mr. McCabe
· We need scout volunteers to help us cross over 7 new scouts to Troop 737.
· Here's the plan for Pack 642's crossover on 4/26/12:
§ 6:15 pm – Meeting starts: Scoutmaster Jeff Weist introduces the Color Guard
§ The WeBeLo II’s will perform the flag ceremony with me (Den Leader) as the Color Guard Commander.
§ 6:20 pm - Jeff Weist will say something about the importance of the Crossover/AOL Ceremony.
§ 6:25 pm - Kent Harris will say a few words.
§ 6:30 pm - Ceremonies begin: Jeff Weist will introduce J.C. Bear (performs an Arrow of Light & narrates pre-Bridge ceremonies)
§ 7:15 pm – Cake and Punch
· Since we're planning on using Troop 737's bridge, I would suggest 737 Boy Scouts showing up at 5:30-5:45 (to set up the bridge), and the 888 Boy Scouts shortly thereafter...that way any coordination with J.C. Bear on the ceremonies can be discussed.
Scout Show; April 28, Meet Time and location are still TBD:
· HALO: Mr. McClean
· The PLC has met and decided that we will be cooking and serving one of our troop specialties: Smacos! This is a huge amount of fun and a great tradition for Troop 737. All interested scouts should sign up this week. More details will be sent shortly.
Church Cleanup Day; May 05, 8:00 AM at ELC:
· HALO: Mr. Wagonhals
· This is an annual event where we help our chartered organization with their annual cleanup of the church and grounds. This is a required event for all scouts to give back to the church for all they do for us. No details have been developed yet, but stay tuned for much more on this in the weeks ahead.
· Uniform for this event will be Class B. Please make sure to have your tee shirt purchased prior to this event.
Arkansas River Rafting Campout; May 11 - 13, 2012 at Salida CO:
· HALOs: Mr. and Mrs. Kraft
· Details are still being worked out, but this late season campout will be a great spring trip in the Rockies. We are planning to float the Arkansas or hike the Rockies. New scouts will take their five mile hike with the scoutmaster while second year and older scouts have an opportunity to raft on the river.
· Stay tuned as more details are worked out.
Peaceful Valley Summer Camp; July 08 to 14, 2012:
· HALOs: Steve Stalter and Allan McCabe
· The Signup and Payment Deadlines are rapidly approaching. The HALOs will be getting the registration login information soon and shortly after that will begin inputting names. Registration for Merit Badges is still a few months away, but you want to have your name entered so that on the day registration opens, the HALOs will be able to sign you up for your first choices.
· Cost: The fee for each scout for summer camp is $250. A$30 deposit is required for each scout to put their names in and we can register scouts on the Peaceful Valley Web Site as we get the deposit. The payment schedule is as follows:
o As soon as possible, a $30 deposit. We will register scouts by name as soon as we get this deposit
o March 5th, 30% including the $30 deposit.
o April 2nd,the next 30%
o May 7th, the final 30%
o The fee for the adults still needs to be determined by the number going. We get the first two slots for free, so we have some options.
District and Council News and Upcoming Activities:
2012 Big Horn Information: Summer 2012 dates are posted. If you are interested, more information will posted as it comes out. This training is required for all Scouts desiring to hold the Senior Patrol leader position.
As always, please read the troop web site, especially the calendar, for the most current information on all upcoming and scheduled events.