Weekly Post, Week of April 08, 2012
Post date: Apr 8, 2012 5:14:57 PM
Greetings Troop 737! Happy Easter! We are ready to continue our spring meetings and activities; the PLC has met and planned our next three meetings, and our HALOs for the new scout campout, scout show, river rafting trip and summer camps are busy putting the programs together. Stay up to date by reading the weekly posts, attending circle time and going to the web, particularly the calendar!
Tomorrow we have a troop meeting that is going to take scouting outdoors again now that the weather is turning warmer, and daylight savings time is here. The PLC has planned a troop orienteering night so bring your compasses and outdoor clothing that is appropriate for the weather.
Please note, I will be going to the Woodbadge training course on Friday, April 13 through April 15, and again on April 27 through April 29 and will not be available to participate in any troop activities during these weekends, including the scout show. I will try to get the weekly posts completed before, during or after these weekends.
As a troop, we have not been doing a great job wearing our uniforms. I have been assured by the PLC that they will be setting the example! At Tomorrow’s meeting, I will be on the lookout for scouts in a good Class A Uniform. You might want to get caught wearing a proper Class A!!!
Mrs. Force has been busy getting our Class B and other uniform items ready for all of us to make our purchases. She has inventoried the tee shirts, made an order for additional sizes, and added an order page on our website. Please see her separate email and make your orders so you have your Class B Tee shirts in time for the New Scout Campout!
If you don’t have a Class B Tee Shirt, please make sure to purchase one. We will need to wear our Class B Tee Shirts at many activities as spring and summer approach; New Scout Campout, Church Cleanup Day, Scout Show and Summer Camp to name just a few.
Below is the schedule for the Uniform Table at regular troop meetings for the rest of the year.
· April 9th
· May 7th
The service patrol for April will be the Stags!! All members of the Stags Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 to help set up for the meeting.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
Upcoming Activities and Sign up & Payment Deadlines:
Troop Meeting – Orienteering; April 09, 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM at ELC:
· The PLC has decided that we will spend about 20 minutes indoors receiving instruction in Orienteering, and then move outside to run through an orienteering course set up by Troop Leaders.
· While the troop is receiving instruction inside, Micah Furman will be putting together a course outside that will include:
1. A pace measurement course so scouts can measure their steps.
2. A tree height estimation station, so scouts can learn how to estimate tree height.
3. An orienteering course with at least 5 legs with a considerable distance between them, at least 50 to 100 yards.
· All scouts are expected to participate in this activity. If you are not instructing, you will do the course, even if just for fun.
SM & ASM & HALOs for Upcoming Events Meeting/Committee Meeting – April 12th, 2012 at 6:30 at ELC:
· The ASM meeting starts at 6:30 PM and the committee meeting starts at 7:00 PM.
· This is going to be a very important meeting to discuss several items:
o New Scout camp out.
o Scout Show
o Rafting Trip
o Church Cleanup Day
o Summer Camp
If you have never been to one of these meetings, please come by and see what we do and give us your ideas! I will send out an agenda for these meetings by next weekend.
Personal Fitness Merit Badge – is still ongoing, March through May ELC
· HALO: Mrs. Roche
· Here is the schedule, these dates are also on the calendar:
o Thursday April 12th @ 7:00 PM – Progress testing and requirement # 1.
o Thursday April 26th @ 7:00 PM – Progress testing and requirement # 9.
o Thursday May 10th @ 7:00 PM – Progress testing only.
o Friday May 25th @ 7:00 PM – REQUIRED! Final testing and requirement # 8.
New Scout Campout; April 20 - 22, 2012 at Fort Lupton:
· HALO: Mr. Catterson
· This campout has something for everyone! All scouts should plan on attending this fun filled weekend campout.
· The goal of this campout is to give our new scouts a very big head start on rank advancement. All new scouts that work hard and participate in all of the skills sessions taught by our older scouts will make Tenderfoot by the end of the weekend. They will learn all of the basic outdoor skills necessary to camp with the troop.
· We have invited several new troops from Denver that are trying to get a start in scouting. We will essentially adopt these troops into our new scout training sessions and our evening activities; dinner and the campfire. So far, only one troop has responded that they are coming.
· For older scouts that need service project time, we will participate in a service project to help the Historical Society in their efforts to maintain and improve the park. This project will take several hours between Breakfast and Lunch. We may be able to cycle instructors with service project participants so everyone has an opportunity for both activities.
· There will be other activities: a tour of the fort and black powder shooting to name two.
· And finally, there is the pig. We will try to cook a pig again this year. I am looking for an adult leader to learn the ins and outs of pig cooking so they can take over for me next year. It is time for me to pass the pig cooking tradition on to someone else.
· Uniform for this campout will be Class A for traveling and Class B during the activities on Saturday and Sunday.
Scout Night with the Rapids; April 21, 7:00 PM at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, 6000 Victory Way, Commerce City, CO (map):
· For any soccer enthusiasts that are not going to the New Scout Campout, the Rapids are holding one of their 2012 Scout Nights. See Mrs. Riley’s email, or go to our calendar for details and the flyer.
Scout Show; April 28, Meet Time and location are still TBD:
· HALO: Mr. McClean
· The PLC has met and decided that we will be cooking and serving one of our troop specialties: Smacos! This is a huge amount of fun and a great tradition for Troop 737. All interested scouts should sign up this week. More details will be sent shortly.
Church Cleanup Day; May 05, 8:00 AM at ELC:
· HALO: Mr. Wagonhals
· This is an annual event where we help our chartered organization with their annual cleanup of the church and grounds. This is a required event for all scouts to give back to the church for all they do for us. No details have been developed yet, but stay tuned for much more on this in the weeks ahead.
· Uniform for this event will be Class B. Please make sure to have your tee shirt purchased prior to this event.
Arkansas River Rafting Campout; May 11 - 13, 2012 at Salida CO:
· HALOs: Mr. and Mrs. Kraft
· Details are still being worked out, but this late season campout will be a great spring trip in the Rockies. We are planning to float the Arkansas or hike the Rockies. New scouts will take their five mile hike with the scoutmaster while second year and older scouts have an opportunity to raft on the river.
· Stay tuned as more details are worked out.
Peaceful Valley Summer Camp; July 08 to 14, 2012:
· HALOs: Steve Stalter and Allan McCabe
· The Signup and Payment Deadlines are rapidly approaching. The HALOs will be getting the registration login information soon and shortly after that will begin inputting names. Registration for Merit Badges is still a few months away, but you want to have your name entered so that on the day registration opens, the HALOs will be able to sign you up for your first choices.
· Cost: The fee for each scout for summer camp is $250. A$30 deposit is required for each scout to put their names in and we can register scouts on the Peaceful Valley Web Site as we get the deposit. The payment schedule is as follows:
o As soon as possible, a $30 deposit. We will register scouts by name as soon as we get this deposit
o March 5th, 30% including the $30 deposit.
o April 2nd,the next 30%
o May 7th, the final 30%
o The fee for the adults still needs to be determined by the number going. We get the first two slots for free, so we have some options.
District and Council News and Upcoming Activities:
2012 Big Horn Information: Summer 2012 dates are posted. If you are interested, more information will posted as it comes out. This training is required for all Scouts desiring to hold the Senior Patrol leader position.
As always, please read the troop web site, especially the calendar, for the most current information on all upcoming and scheduled events.