Weekly Post, September 15, 2013
Post date: Sep 15, 2013 9:37:26 PM
Hello Troop 737,
I hope you are all staying safe and dry. Special note: based on the weather we will move Monday’s meeting back to ELC. Here is a list of the upcoming events:
· September 16 Meet at ELC, Service patrol is the Titans. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. If at all possible we will be doing outdoor activities including German Spotlight. Please dress appropriately and bring a flashlight. We will also be doing campout prep for the Camporee.
· September 20 – 22 Timberline District Camporee. Considering the location of this event, on the banks of the South Platte River, I suspect it will be cancelled or rescheduled. The theme for this year’s Camporee is "An 1860’s Frontier Village". Most of the activities will be themed around a Civil War and Mountain Man historical adventure. Pioneering, Indian Lore and associated activities are some of the most exciting and fun of the outdoor adventures in Scouting. The 2013 Fall Camporee will allow Scouts to test their Black Powder shooting skills, tomahawk throwing, and archery skillswith other challenging events. This looks like lots of fun so sign up and join us!! If you have any Webelos or Cub Scouts they are welcome to come and visit for the day, but they must be accompanied by an adult.
· September 23 Patrol Leader’s Council. All scout leaders are expected to come and plan the next month’s activities including our first Court of Honor.
· September 30 Court of Honor This is the formal ceremony where all the merit badges and rank advancements earned by the Scouts since the last Court of Honor will be presented. We will be meeting in the Sanctuary and all the Scouts should wear their Class A uniforms. All parents, especially Mothers of Scouts receiving rank advancement, are encouraged to attend this meeting. Adults, we still do not have a HALO for this event. If you would be willing to help organize this event please contact me.
· October 4 -6 Scoutmaster Invitational Backpacking Trip The plan is to go to Gibson Lake. Mr. Hoffman will be putting out some more information about this trip.
· October 18 – 20 Buffalo Creek Campout The principal activity for this campout will be mountain bike riding. We will be working on the biking merit badge along with other merit badges like cooking, camping and other Trail to First Class requirements. There are various trails for all kinds of skill levels. If you do not have a mountain bike, let me know and we may be able to provide you with one. If you are not interested in biking there are some great hikes in the area. This event is within an hour of Evergreen so Scouts could go to other events and still participate in this awesome campout. NOTE: If you are familiar with this area and would be willing to be an assistant HALO for this event please contact me.
· October 26 Winter Camp Training 8am – 3pm This is a very important training for our new scouts. You must attend this training once if you want to go on any of our outdoor winter camping trips, which is November through March! This is true for adults also. Every year we are asked to bend on this policy but we have never made an exception. The Leadership Team feels that this training is essential for safety of scouts and adults. We also want to make sure everyone has a good winter camping experience.
· November 15 -17 Chatfield Reservoir Campout We will be hiking, biking, fishing and having a great time. Since this campout is so close, Scouts will be able to come and go. So, they can go to other activities like sporting events or band and come back to join us. There are very few good excuses for not coming to this campout. See you there!
Save the dates reminders:
· March 23 – 29 Spring Break Arches Family Campout
· June 19 – July 3 Philmont Scout Ranch