Weekly Post, October 27, 2013
Post date: Oct 28, 2013 1:42:19 AM
Hello Troop 737,
WOW, what a great last meeting! Thank you to Jack Winters for organizing this event. With the Air National Guard, Troop 400, parents, siblings and Troop 737 Scouts, there were about 100 people in the audience. I know everyone enjoyed the speaker because they stayed quiet and attentive. Nice job Jack!!
If anyone else has an idea of a good speaker or program for a scout meeting, let me or your patrol leader know and we will put it before the PLC.
It turns out that this Monday is the State Finals for both the Evergreen and Conifer bands. Because of this, we will be missing some of our older Scouts. If you are one of the outgoing or incoming leaders, please make every effort to come to the ILST and PLC meeting. WARNING for the new leaders, there is a good chance we may run a little long, to 8:15 or 8:30. Good luck to both the Evergreen and Conifer bands.
At this time, we only have 12 scouts and maybe 4 adults signed up to go to Philmont next summer. This is one of the premier scouting events of any scout’s career. All of the scouts and adults who went last time had an awesome time and highly recommend that everyone should take advantage of this opportunity. Troop 737 was VERY lucky to get a chance to go again so quickly. There is a very good chance that if you are 14 or older, you may not get another chance to go Philmont. If we do not get some more sign ups fairly soon, we will have to start offering this opportunity to other troops in the area. If cost is an issue, please contact me and we will see what we can work out.
Troop 737 is an excellent troop but we can always make it better. On Friday December 6th , we have scheduled an adult brainstorming session. If you have some ideas on how we can make Troop 737 better, please plan on joining us. I would especially like to hear from people who were in scouts as a youth and people who have recently been involved in other troops. More details to follow.
Here is a list of upcoming events:
· October 28 ILST and PLC This meeting is for all incoming and outgoing troop leaders. The outgoing leaders and the scoutmaster will take the incoming leaders through a training session designed to help get new leaders the skills they need to be successful. Then the new leaders will conduct a PLC with help from the outgoing leaders and plan the next month of scout meetings and activities.
· November 10 KOA Radio station Tour Come see what goes on behind the scenes of a the KOA radio station during a Bronco game.
· November 15 -17 Chatfield Reservoir Campout We will be hiking, biking, fishing and having a great time. Since this campout is so close, Scouts will be able to come and go. So, they can go to other activities like sporting events or band and come back to join us. There are very few good excuses for not coming to this campout. See you there! You will not need Winter camp training to go on this campout.
· December 6 Adult Brainstorming session Save the date. More details to follow.
· December 7 Winter Camp Training 8am – 3pm This is a very important training for our new scouts. You must attend this training once if you want to go on any of our outdoor winter camping trips, which is November through March! This is true for adults also. Every year we are asked to bend on this policy but we have never made an exception. The Leadership Team feels that this training is essential for safety of scouts and adults. We also want to make sure everyone has a good winter camping experience.
· December 13 – 14 Lock-in at Wulf Rec Center This is one of our most popular events. The pool, gym and gymnastics room will be open.