Weekly Post, October 17, 2010
Post date: Oct 16, 2010 8:03:57 PM
Service Patrol for October - Alligators. Please show up 20 minutes early and plan on staying a bit later to help with chairs, tables, flags, etc.
Monday, October 18, 2010. Game Night. 6:30 - 8 PM, ELC, Upper Fellowship Hall. Please bring your favorite board games. We will also have presentations by 1) Mr. B regarding the planned trip to the Boundary Waters this summer and 2) Andrew Summar on his recently completed Eagle Project. Don't forget to bring goods for Ryan J.'s Eagle Project!!
Collegiate Peaks Family Campout. CANCELLED. Due to an insufficient number of signups, we were forced to cancel the event. No big deal. This is a wildly busy time of year for everyone with school, band, and sports. There are many more events coming up. Thank you Mr. Shockites for stepping up as SMIC!
Community Service Project. October 28. We have a community service project quarterly where we do something for our community, to help others, and earn service hours for rank advancement.
- When: Thursday evening, October 28th. We would meet at ELC at 4:45 and return at 7:45. So get that homework DONE!
- What: The scouts would come in uniform and serve food to the needy through a ministry called "The Table". The needy people that come through are sooooo thankful and it really makes the kids feel like they are contributing to a community need. Our connection is through Mean Street Ministries, which is also a direct contributor/partner for "The Table". I have attached both websites below so you can see what the two organizations are about.
- Where: Bethlehem Lutheran Church on Wadsworth (near Colfax). Uniform: Scouts need to wear their Class A uniform.
- More information: http://www.meanstreetministry.org/About.html; http://www.tablebethlehem.org/details.shtml
- Questions: Suzanne H. Thompson, our service project coordinator. Mrs. Thompson, you rock!, 303-567-0503 Home, 303-809-4801 Cell
Winter Camp Training. As you know, our troop does plenty of cold weather camping. But did you know that you have to be winter camp trainined by our troop or at OKPIK? No exceptions. See attachment at the end of this email.
Bighorn. If you did Bighorn Youth Leadership Training this summer, please come see me with your paperwork so we can complete the process and turn it into Denver Area Council.
Upcoming activities - Check the calendar for details
- October 28 - Community Service Project
- November 1 - Halloween Party
- November 6 - Cold weather camp training (with sleepover for trainers) - required for all winter camping
- November 12-14 - Indigo Mountain Nature Center
- November 13 - Valley District Merit Badge College
- November 13 - Webelos Winter Day
- November 20 - Frontier District Merit Badge College
- November 20 - Apex Center (with rock climbing)
- December 4 - Golden Rec Center Lockin
Planning. I'm insanely busy at work through October and have fallen behind with some of the things I typically do for the troop. Many have stepped up at my request to assist. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. However, I still need some help with updating the calendar on the website through next summer and with following up with the SMICs for upcoming activities. I'll let eveyone know when I need help in early November.
Mr. Wickham, Scoutmaster