Weekly Post, May 15, 2011
Post date: May 14, 2011 11:36:32 PM
My first Try. This is going to be interesting, posting my first message to the troop. Please forgive me if I bring our site, Google and our national defense department down. It is possible. My posts will be very similar to Mr Wickham's because there is no reason not to plagiarizer prior good work. I would also like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that I have a new email account that I will use for Scouts. It may take a little while for everyone to switch, that's understandable and I will remind you if you send to the wrong address. The advantage of this new account is huge for me personally as it will allow me to access my scout mail from anywhere, including my phone. These same advantages apply to the troop. The new primary email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org. I also have a secondary address which is email@example.com. Please use the primary one to contact me from now on.
Once again, there is A LOT going on to close out the year. Please read the details. Also, a few thing have been reschedule in May, so please take note. Check the calendar on the website for more details.
May 16, 2011 6:30 – 8:30, ELC, Court of Honor. Masters of Ceremony are Ian S., Zach B. and Slater T. The theme will be Star Wars, so start making your aluminum foil hats today. Food assignments have been delivered by phone tree, so if you did not get yours, talk to your Patrol Leader. Please be prepared to warmly welcome your next Scoutmaster at the court of honor – Mr. Cary Hoffman. Thank you Mr Wickham! All, please be kind and patient!
From Mr Wickham:
Theme: Star Wars Flaming arrows- Martain volcanic root beer Tigers- Alien pies Stealth- I Scream (get it?) Serpents- Wookie's Cookies Stags- Yoda's brownies (Errrrrrr!) NFE- Nuclear Flaming Celery and dip Alligators- Donut Black Holes Panthers- Oreos. That's it. Just Oreos. Dragons- Light Saber carrot sticks and dip Titans- Federation Cocktail Weenies with toothpicks (not a political statement) Finger cramp! Matthew Wickham Sent from my iPhone
Reminder, the court of honor and all meetings start at 6:30, please show up a little early so we can try to start on time and end on time.
Summer Camp, San Isabel. A few items from our summer camp Head Adult Leader Organizer (HALO) Assistant Scoutmaster Bart Sperry, firstname.lastname@example.org, 303-435-2894
1. All new scouts should be going on this. It is a great way to bang our the requirements toward First Class rank and work on merit badges. Badges? We need dos stinkin badges!
2. We have a few meetings set up just for summer camp. The first is June 6 (at the regular troop meeting time) just for parents The second on June 13 is for both the scouts AND their parents.
3. A current Class 3 Colorado State Medical Form (both sides of the form with a physical and doctor's signature) or National form (Parts A, B and C with a physical and doctor's signature) will be required for summer camp. Both forms are attached. Mr Smith has taken over the role of managing health forms, so please see his recent email. Also keep in mind that we are slowly migrating to the National form.
4. Adults going to camp are required to be current on Youth Protection Training. This is an easy 30 minute online course. If you do not have printed proof of Youth Protection Training good ahead and retake it. It is relatively painless. http://olc.scouting.org/index.html
5. A few adults have asked about staying at camp. I would like to start collecting a list of names and days that adults are interested in staying. Let me know if you would like to stay the whole week or half week and if you have a preference for first half or second half. Remember it is also an option to just drive down for Friday dinner, camp fire and spend the night ($5/meal and $10/night fee).
6. A heads up on refunds. There is a $50 deposit per scout that is non refundable. If you cancel 30 days before camp you can receive $160 back and up to two weeks before the trip you will receive $80 back.
7. SWIM CHECK. Was conducted at the Wulff Rec Center on May 9. If you did not get to this swim check and you still want to boat at camp, you can join your Scout Master, Mr. Hoffman, at summer camp getting a check in the cold mountain camp lake.
May Service Patrol – Nuclear Flaming Eagles. Please show up 15 minutes early to set up for the troop meeting, and plan on staying an extra 15 minutes to help clean up (OK, it
was either the flaming eagle with two heads or a mushroom cloud).
May 14, 2011, ELC, Eagle Project - Graham P.
I am told that this went very well and there was a large participation from the troop. They finished on Saturday!! NIce job everyone who attended and nice job Graham for organizing.
On behalf of the Conifer Track Team, I would like to say that we are sorry that we could not participate due the league championship meet on Saturday.
May 14, 2011 8:30 – 3:30, Service Project. Spring Fling-it Recycle at Conifer HS and Big O Tires, Aspen Park/Hwy 285. I have not heard how this went or if we had any volunteers. I am hopeful that it was a good one.
RESCHEDULED: May 23, 2011 6:30 – 8:30, ELC, Sports Night. Marshdale ball fields. Details to be worked out. Scout in charge is Andy W. Switch on calendar with COH.
May 28, 29, 30, 2011. Service Project. Poppies. We have been contacted by the VFW Women’s Auxiliary asking for our scouts to help distribute poppies at the Evergreen Wal-mart Fri, Sat and Sun of Memorial day weekend. They are also contacting other groups so they will not be depending on us solely. Our contact said that there will be two ladies from the Auxiliary there at all times, so they could be dropped off independently at Wal-Mart to participate. Our troop will require that we have TWO scouts at any time (the Buddy System applies) or a scout and one or more of his parents. Our HALO for this is Suzanne H. Thompson, 303-567-0503, 303-809-4801, email@example.com. Please sign up.
RESCHEDULED: June 4. 2011 10 AM to 2 PM. Annual planning meeting. Alderfer Three Sisters picnic area. All scouts strongly encouraged to attend. All leadership positions are expected to attend. http://co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R5.htm. Mr. Wickham and Mr. Hoffman to bring planning materials. SPL to bring assembled ideas from patrols. Lunchtime picnic will include the food assignments to be determined at the next PLC. This was rescheduled from the May 21 because of a conflict with Conifer High School Graduation.
June 6, 2011, ELC, 6:30 PM, Summer Camp Meeting - Parents. We will meet to inform parents of all necessary preparations for summer camp. This is a very important meeting for parents to attend, particularly parents of new scouts. All your questions can be answered and difficult topics can be discussed.
June 7-16, 2011, Boundary Water Trip (Ely Mn.). You should already know if you are going. If you don't know that you are going, but you are, you better find out fast!
June 11-12. Rafting Trip. Stay tuned for more details from Mr. Summar.
June 13 2011, ELC, 6:30 PM, Summer Camp Meeting - Parents and Scouts. We will meet to inform parents and scouts of all necessary preparations for summer camp. Again, this is a very important meeting for parents and scouts to attend.
August 8-12. ELC Grove Sale. This is an annual event that we are asked to support by our Church sponsor. We have not done a very good job of supporting our sponsor and they have called us on it. The committee has decided to make three church related events a priority each year for our troop: Scout Sunday, Church Cleanup Day and the Grove Sale. The cleanup day and the grove sale are both service projects and hours count. We will have a sign up sheet for two, four hour shifts for each of the five days. We are requiring that all scouts sign up for one or two shifts, and that they bring a parent to help. This is a good opportunity to bond with your son and help him server our sponsor. We do realize that it is summer time and some families will be out of town, but we need every scout and family to participate if at all possible. More on this at the court of honor.
I think that's all for this week, see you all at the Court of Honor.