Weekly Post, May 1, 2011
Post date: May 1, 2011 3:59:51 PM
A LOT going on. Please read on. Also, a few thing have been reschedule in May, so please take note. Check the calendar on the website for more details.
Summer Camp, San Isabel. A few items from our summer camp Head Adult Leader Organizer (HALO) Assistant Scoutmaster Bart Sperry, firstname.lastname@example.org, 303-435-2894
1. All new scouts should be going on this. It is a great way to bang our the requirements toward First Class rank and work on merit badges. Badges? We need dos stinkin badges!
2. We have a few meetings set up just for summer camp. The first is June 6 (at the regular troop meeting time) just for parents The second on June 13 is for both the scouts AND their parents.
3. A current Colorado State Medical Form will be required for summer camp, NO other forms will be accepted by the camp!!! I have attached a copy of the form. Mr. Hoffman sent out an email on February 26th with a summary of health form status on file with the troop. (Health forms are good for 2 years for scouts and 1 year for adults).
4. Adults going to camp are required to be current on Youth Protection Training. This is an easy 30 minute online course. If you do not have printed proof of Youth Protection Training good ahead and retake it. It is relatively painless. http://olc.scouting.org/index.html
5. A few adults have asked about staying at camp. I would like to start collecting a list of names and days that adults are interested in staying. Let me know if you would like to stay the whole week or half week and if you have a preference for first half or second half. Remember it is also an option to just drive down for Friday dinner, camp fire and spend the night ($5/meal and $10/night fee).
6. A heads up on refunds. There is a $50 deposit per scout that is non refundable. If you cancel 30 days before camp you can receive $160 back and up to two weeks before the trip you will receive $80 back.
7. SWIM CHECK. We will be holding a swim check at the Wulff Rec Center May 9. The swim check (and associated paperwork) is required for scouts and ATTENDING ADULTS. You can do it in a heated pool at the Rec Center or in a very cold lake at camp. We are on the lifeguard's schedule for when the pool opens to the public at 7:30 PM. Please arrive and get ready at 7:15. Group discounted rate is $2.75/person.
May Service Patrol – Nuclear Flaming Eagles. Please show up 15 minutes early to set up for the troop meeting, and plan on staying an extra 15 minutes to help clean up (OK, it was either the flaming eagle with two heads or a mushroom cloud).
May 2, 2011 Monday 6:30 – 8:30, ELC, Troop Meeting. New Scout Campout Prep. We will be preparing for New Scout Campout. This will include meal planning, a trainer meeting. All attendees please help plan for the weekend. Outdoor leadership activities will include leadership training.
May 7-8, 2011. Saturday - Sunday. New Scout Campout, Fort Lupton. HALO is Mr. McLean. All new scouts to attend to work toward Tenderfoot. This is a great event full of advancement, camping, and learning. Please plan on attending. Parents welcome. We’ll be having another (becoming famous) pig roast. Andy S. is also planning his Eagle Project at the campout. All new scouts attend Saturday and Sunday. All trainers and older scouts Friday night till Sunday.
· New Scouts - Meet at ELC 0700 Saturday morning. Bring your book!!!!
· Trainers - Six trainers only. Indicate "Staff" when signing up. Meet at ELC Friday, 5:30 pm.
· Other scouts - You are welcome, of course. You will be doing black powder shooting and the Eagle Project
As a reminder, Andy W. is heading a committee to plan the campfire program. Stags to organize + select few. There is also the Heritage Fair going on all day Saturday nearby. We will find the time to visit during the day. Please see the attached flyer.
May 9, 2011 6:30 – 7:30. Patrol Leaders Council. Wulff Rec Center. This is not a regular troop meeting. It is attended by the PLC only, which is SPL, ASPLs, PLs (or APL is PL cannot attend), and Scribe must attend. Webmaster should attend if there are suggestions/comments on the website to pass along to the PLC. Please bring your planning materials, a pen, etc. Also please check the last PLC calendar entry for previous commitments. The Masters of Ceremony for the May Court of Honor will need to attend.
May 9, 2011 7:15 – 9:00 ish. Swim Check, Wulff Rec Center. Please bring a swim suit and towel. No Speedos please - I have a hard enough time getting to sleep at night. The swim check (and associated paperwork) is required for scouts and ATTENDING ADULTS for summer camp. You can do it in a heated pool at the Rec Center or in a very cold lake at camp!! We are on the lifeguard's schedule for when the pool opens to the public at 7:30 PM. Please arrive and get ready at 7:15. Group discounted rate is $2.75/person. The test levels include:
- Jump feet first into water over the head, level off, and begin swimming.
- Swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: side, breast, trudgen, or crawl. Swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke.
- The 100 yards must be completed without stops and must include at least one sharp turn.
- Rest by floating…Long enough to demonstrate ability to rest when exhausted.
- Jump feet first into water over the head, level off, and begin swimming.
- Swim 25 feet on the surface.
- Stop, turn, and resume swimming back to the starting place.
- Did not complete either of the swimming tests
May 14, 2011 10 – 4?, ELC, Eagle Project - Graham P.
What: Fire Mitigation project (clearing dead trees, ladder fuels, slash, etc..)
Graham needs your help so please save the date on your calendar. More details to follow on tools and food and so on...
Place: Conifer Community Park at Beaver Ranch, 11369 S. Foxton Rd, Conifer 80433
May 14, 2011 8:30 – 3:30, Service Project. Spring Fling-it Recycle at Conifer HS and Big O Tires, Aspen Park/Hwy 285. Need service hours? Feeling altruistic? Want to help your community? Parents?! The Conifer Area Council and Conifer Rotary Club are in need of volunteers (youth and adults) on Saturday, May 14 to help with the Spring Fling-it Recycle event at Conifer HS and Big O Tires, Aspen Park/Hwy 285. Please see attachment. Volunteers are needed to help unload recycles at CHS and tires at Big-O, Aspen Park. Morning (8:30 – noon) and afternoon (noon – 3:30) shifts can be accommodated. Even 1-2 hours is helpful!! Please direct all volunteer signups to our event HALO, Mrs. Wickham – she needs to know by tomorrow which shift people are available for. Class B uniforms and gloves requested (no Class A’s). Mary Ellen Wickham, 303-816-9207, email@example.com. Mrs. Wickham has a special prize for the patrol with the most signed up, scouts and parents! Please see the signup sheet at tomorrow’s meeting.
RESCHEDULED: May 16, 2011 6:30 – 8:30, ELC, Court of Honor. Masters of Ceremony are Ian S. and Zach B. this will be a Star Wars theme, so start making your aluminum foil hats today. Food assignments to follow after next PLC. This was rescheduled from the 23rd. Please be prepared to warmly welcome your next Scoutmaster at the court of honor – Mr. Cary Hoffman.
RESCHEDULED: May 23, 2011 6:30 – 8:30, ELC, Sports Night. Marshdale ball fields. Details to be worked out. Scout in charge is Andy W. Switch on calendar with COH.
May 28, 29, 30, 2011. Service Project. Poppies. We have been contacted by the VFW Women’s Auxiliary asking for our scouts to help distribute poppies at the Evergreen Wal-mart Fri, Sat and Sun of Memorial day weekend. They are also contacting other groups so they will not be depending on us solely. Our contact said that there will be two ladies from the Auxiliary there at all times, so they could be dropped off independently at Wal-Mart to participate. Our troop will require that we have TWO scouts at any time (the Buddy System applies) or a scout and one or more of his parents. Our HALO for this is Suzanne H. Thompson, 303-567-0503, 303-809-4801, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please sign up.
RESCHEDULED: June 4. 2011 10 AM to 2 PM. Annual planning meeting. Alderfer Three Sisters picnic area. All scouts strongly encouraged to attend. All leadership positions are expected to attend. http://co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R5.htm. Mr. Wickham and Mr. Hoffman to bring planning materials. SPL to bring assembled ideas from patrols. Lunchtime picnic will include the food assignments to be determined at the next PLC. This was rescheduled from the May 21 because of a conflict with Conifer High School Graduation.
June 11-12. Rafting Trip. Stay tuned for more details from Mr. Summar.
I think that’s everything. I need a nap.
Scoutmaster, Troop 737 - The Mountain Troop
(720) 318 2219