Weekly Post, January 26, 2014
Post date: Jan 27, 2014 2:28:39 AM
Hello Troop 737,
WOW what an amazing weekend event!! Friday night we headed down to the Cave of the Winds where we slept in the cave! Before we went to sleep we spent about 3 hours getting up close and personal with mud, dirt, rock, true darkness, stalagmites, stalactites and other world class formations in parts of the cave that most people do not see. It was awesome!! After waking to the smell of BACON we headed to the Air Force Academy where we did a self-guided tour that included the majestic Academy Chapel. We also spend a few hours hanging out at the B-52 Bomber where we had lunch, played football and enjoyed the glorious Colorado day. Then we headed to a local rec center to do some swimming. Hopefully the scouts cleaned up before they went in the pool. After a hamburger dinner we cooked in a nearby park we headed to the movie theater. Then it was back to Denver for our final stop, Laser Quest. At midnight we started a series of epic battles. Most of us caught at least some shut eye but there were some hold outs that lasted all night. Thanks to all the parents that made this event possible. Special thanks go to Dan Osborn who organized another AWESOME Mystery Campout.
Tomorrow night we will be doing a series of real life simulations where the scouts will use the skills they have learned in E Prep and First Aid. Parents and older scouts may be needed to help with the simulations. We were hoping to have these simulations outside but with the forecast of snow, we will probably be inside.
For next week’s meeting we are going on a field trip to the Alpine Rescue Team Building, but it will be on Tuesday night, February 4th, instead of our normal Monday night. Details are still being worked out.
REMEMBER, With the E Prep theme in mind, the prize for the attendance/uniform inspection raffle for this unit is:
· a heavy duty Magnesium Fire Starter
· a flashlight that can also be a lantern and in the flashing mode a signal light.
· and as we all know it is hard to live without a Spork
Raffle tickets are earned by being in attendance at the beginning of the meeting and in full uniform, so be there on time and in full uniform!
Our next Court of Honor is scheduled for February 10. This means that all Scouts need to have their Scoutmaster conference and Board of Review completed tomorrow night to be included.
NOTE: The New Scout Campout has been moved to a week earlier to April 11 – 13 because of the conflict with Easter.
Here is a list of upcoming events:
· January 27 Troop Meeting: Emergency Preparedness 6:30 – 8pm Service patrol is the Serpents. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Three E Prep simulations done outside, Dress appropriately. Last meeting advancements can be included in upcoming Court of Honor.
· February 2 Scout Sunday ELC 10 am A group of Scouts will be helping with the service at Evergreen Lutheran Church and everyone can join them. If you cannot join them you are encouraged to attend your own worship service in your scout uniform.
· February 3 No Troop Meeting
· Tuesday February 4 Troop Meeting: Field Trip to Alpine Rescue 6:30 – 8pm Details still being worked out.
· February 10 Troop Meeting: Court of Honor 6:30 – 8pm Service patrol is the Serpents. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up.
· February 15 Annual Ski Trip The plan is to go to Winter Park this year. Come earn your snow sports merit badge or just come have a BLAST with you friends.
· February 21 - 23 Timberline District Klondike Derby Leave ELC at 6pm, return Sunday at 1pm. Come on this winter adventure to practice and learn some new scout skills and have an awesome time with your friends. Of course there will be the Troop 737 tradition of FROZEN CHICHEN BOWLING!!
Other important dates:
· March 23 – 29 Spring Break Arches Family Campout We have reserved a group site in Arches National Park. This is a tent only campground that will accommodate 35 campers.
· June 19 – July 3 Philmont If you have signed up for Philmont, the first and second payments are due now. We still do have room so if you are at all interested, please sign up or contact me or Mr. Riley. Philmont is one of the premier scouting events of any scout’s career. All of the scouts and adults who went last time had an awesome time and highly recommend that everyone should take advantage of this opportunity. Troop 737 was VERY lucky to get a chance to go again so quickly. There is a very good chance that if you are 14 or older, you may not get another chance to go Philmont. If cost is an issue, please contact me and we will see what we can work out.
· Summer camps:
o July 6 – 12 Camp Dietler and Peaceful Valley Colorado
o July 19 – 27 Camp Island Park in Idaho