Weekly Post, January 23, 2011
Post date: Jan 24, 2011 1:02:17 AM
Here’s the buzz with upcoming meetings and events:
January 24, 2011. 6:30, ELC. Career night. The PLC has planned the career presenters. These include:
- Mr. Bornes – Paramedic
- Mr. Summer - Exotic Pet Veterinarian
- January 31, 2011. 6:30, ELC. Order of the Arrow Elections. This is a critical event for our troop. The Order of the Arrow (OA) is Scouting’s National Honor Society. The fourfold purpose of the OA is: To recognize those campers – Scouts and Scouters – who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives, and by such recognition cause other campers to conduct themselves in such manner as to warrant recognition.
- To develop and maintain camping traditions and spirit.
- To promote Scout camping, which reaches its greatest effectiveness as a part of the unit’s camping program, both year-round and in the summer camp, as directed by the camping committee of the council.
- To crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others.
Each year we elect by secret ballot our Order of the Arrow representatives. WE NEED AT LEAST 50% ATTENDANCE by requirement for the elections to be held. You will need to dress warmly – the ceremony is outside.
If you are currently youth member of the Order of the Arrow, and would like to participate as part of the ceremony team, please let Mrs. P know. She will send you a copy of the script and you can choose what character you would like to portray. We will need at least 5 members for this. She has asked the chapter for use of the ceremony outfits, but have not heard back, yet.
February 5, 2011. 9:00 AM - Noon, ELC. Semi-annual planning meeting. We will need to work through a number of upcoming activities up to Summer Camp. I need the PLC to attend. Everyone is encouraged to attend, particularly parents.
February 7, 2011. 6:30, ELC. Advancement.
February 14, 2011. 6:30, ELC. Trail to First Class/Klondike Derby campout prep/Sled repair/tune-up. Please bring tools, extension cords, etc. I could use someone handy to inspect the sleds in advance, and decide what needs to be done to them. Let me know. Thanks.
February 18-20, 2011. Timberline District Klondike Derby Winter Campout. Mr. Wickham is the HALO. This is a great event held every year by the Timberline District which brings together troops from across the district to camp and complete. Signup deadline is February 5 (registration ends February 6). This year it is being held at Camp Tahosa in the Indian Peaks Wilderness, the crown jewel facility of the Denver Area Council. We will need to tune up/repair the sleds and start planning our Klondike event. Cost is $25 per person.
February 26/27, 2011 . Saturday/Sunday. Oceanography Merit Badge. HALO is Mrs. Henderson. See all the emails on the subject. This is an OVERNIGHT event, at the Downtown Aquarium and includes dinner, merit badge instruction & materials, an activity patch, guided tour, snacks, sleepover, hot breakfast, and a morning activity. The cost for this event is $70 per person. We will meet at ELC at 4 pm on Saturday afternoon to carpool. Adults should plan to pick up their Scouts at ELC no later than 10 am on Sunday morning. Please note . . . all participants (including adults) are responsible for printing, signing and returning the waiver on or before Monday January 24th. You also need pay the fees on or before Monday January 24th. If you do not return the waiver and prepay by this date, your spot will be offered to the next person on the back-up list. If you prepay and are unable to attend, prepaid fees are non-refundable due to a required prepayment to the Aquarium. Partial scholarships are available to active scouts upon request.