Weekly Post, January 19, 2014
Post date: Jan 19, 2014 2:29:06 AM
Hello Troop 737,
Last Monday night we had a very productive meeting with the theme of E Prep (Emergency Preparedness). We are still working on making sure that all the scouts are engaged, but I was very encouraged. The leadership team is figuring out how to make sure that the scouts learn what they need to learn and to get credit for the requirements they have completed. There will be observers to make sure that all the scouts are engaged in the activities. A worksheet will be kept with all the requirements and all the scout names, similar to what is done at summer camp. At the end of each unit the completed requirements will be recorded in the advancement computer. Blue cards will then be issued to each scout showing completed and missing requirements. Please keep track of these blue cards!
Thanks to the Bramer family for putting together a GREAT presentation on the upcoming Crane viewing trip to Nebraska in March. It looks like it will be a lot of fun and very entertaining.
With the E Prep theme in mind, the prize for the attendance/uniform inspection raffle for this unit is:
· a heavy duty Magnesium Fire Starter
· a flashlight that can also be a lantern and in the flashing mode a signal light.
· and as we all know it is hard to live without a Spork
Raffle tickets are earned by being in attendance at the beginning of the meeting and in full uniform, so be there on time and in full uniform!
Thanks to all the adults who showed up at the Thursday night adult meetings. We go a lot accomplished.
Our next Court of Honor is scheduled for February 10. This means that all Scouts need to have their Scoutmaster conference and Board of Review completed 2 weeks prior (January 27th) to be included.
NOTE: The New Scout Campout has been moved to a week earlier to April 11 – 13 because of the conflict with Easter.
Here is a list of upcoming events:
· January 20 Troop Meeting: Emergency Preparedness 6:30 – 8pm Service patrol is the Serpents. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Group discussion of Requirement 2B in E prep, Requirement 3 demonstrations, ICE ACCIDENT
· January 24-26 Mystery Campout Meet at ELC (Evergreen Lutheran Church) at 5:30pm Friday. Return Sunday morning at 7am. This will be a memorable event so make sure to sign up soon. See Mr. Osborn’s emails for more info.
· January 27 Troop Meeting: Emergency Preparedness 6:30 – 8pm Service patrol is the Serpents. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Three E Prep simulations done outside, Dress appropriately. Last meeting advancements can be included in upcoming Court of Honor.
· February 3 Troop Meeting: Emergency Preparedness Field Trip 6:30 – 8pm Details still being worked out.
· February 10 Troop Meeting: Court of Honor 6:30 – 8pm Service patrol is the Serpents. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up.
· February 15 Annual Ski Trip The plan is to go to Winter Park this year. Come earn your snow sports merit badge or just come have a BLAST with you friends.
· February 21 - 23 Timberline District Klondike Derby Leave ELC at 6pm, return Sunday at 1pm. Come on this winter adventure to practice and learn some new scout skills and have an awesome time with your friends. Of course there will be the Troop 737 tradition of FROZEN CHICHEN BOWLING!!
Other important dates:
· March 23 – 29 Spring Break Arches Family Campout We have reserved a group site in Arches National Park. This is a tent only campground that will accommodate 35 campers.
· June 19 – July 3 Philmont If you have signed up for Philmont, the first and second payments are due now. We still do have room so if you are at all interested, please sign up or contact me or Mr. Riley. Philmont is one of the premier scouting events of any scout’s career. All of the scouts and adults who went last time had an awesome time and highly recommend that everyone should take advantage of this opportunity. Troop 737 was VERY lucky to get a chance to go again so quickly. There is a very good chance that if you are 14 or older, you may not get another chance to go Philmont. If cost is an issue, please contact me and we will see what we can work out.
· Summer camps:
o July 6 – 12 Camp Dietler and Peaceful Valley Colorado
o July 19 – 27 Camp Island Park in Idaho