Weekly Post, January 12, 2014
Post date: Jan 12, 2014 6:56:04 PM
Hello Troop 737,
Last Monday night we had a very productive PLC (Patrol Leaders Conference) meeting. Thank you to all the scouts who took time out of their Christmas vacation to participate.
There are only 2 spots left for the Okpik trip next week end. Come join us for this awesome winter camp experience. See more info below.
One of the big items that came out of the Adult Brainstorming session was to make our regular Scout meetings more exciting, engaging, fun and meaningful. With this in mind we will be implementing the BSA Program Features Guide. The idea is to work on a theme for each unit, which is about a month. Our first Unit is Emergency Preparedness, also known as E Prep. We will be working on merit badge requirements for the first 3 weeks and we are working on a field trip for the fourth week. There will also be games based on the theme. If Scouts participate in all the meetings they will have over half of the requirements completed for their E Prep merit badge. Most of the other requirements need to be completed at home.
With the E Prep theme in mind, the prize for the attendance/uniform inspection raffle for this unit is:
· a heavy duty Magnesium Fire Starter
· a flashlight that can also be a lantern and in the flashing mode a signal light.
· and as we all know it is hard to live without a Spork
The PLC is still working out the details as to how raffle tickets will be earned but I am sure it will have something to do with attendance and uniform inspections, so be there on time and in full uniform!
Here is a list of upcoming events:
· January 13 Troop Meeting: Emergency Preparedness 6:30 – 8pm Service patrol is the Serpents. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Transporting injured people (E.D.G.E) Make own stretchers, outlined in the scout handbook. (GABE) Aircraft signaling methods. (GABE) Discuss Prepare, Respond, Recover. Stretcher Relay
· January 16 Assistant Scoutmaster and upcoming HALO’s meeting 6:30 pm ELC All adults are welcome. We will go over the upcoming activities.
· January 16 Troop Committee meeting 7:15pm ELC All Adults are welcome. This is when the business of the Troop is discussed. There are quite a few open positions on the committee. Come see how you can help out.
· January 17 - 19 Okpik Meet at ELC (Evergreen Lutheran Church) at 6pm Friday, return mid-day on Sunday. This is a high adventure program (age 14 and above) up at Tahosa scout camp. Come learn all about winter camping including building a Quinzee and sleeping in it. All the scouts who have gone on this outing before said it was a blast.
· January 20 Troop Meeting: Emergency Preparedness 6:30 – 8pm Service patrol is the Serpents. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Group discussion of Requirement 2B in E prep, Requirement 3 demonstrations, ICE ACCIDENT
· January 24-26 Mystery Campout Meet at ELC (Evergreen Lutheran Church) at 6pm Friday. Return either Saturday night or Sunday morning, details still being worked out. This will be a memorable event so make sure to sign up soon. See Mr. Osborn’s emails for more info.
· January 27 Troop Meeting: Emergency Preparedness 6:30 – 8pm Service patrol is the Serpents. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Three E Prep simulations done outside, Dress appropriately
· February 3 Troop Meeting: Emergency Preparedness Field Trip 6:30 – 8pm Details still being worked out.
· February 3 Troop Meeting: Court of Honor 6:30 – 8pm
Other important dates:
· March 23 – 29 Spring Break Arches Family Campout We have reserved a group site in Arches National Park. This is a tent only campground that will accommodate 35 campers.
· June 19 – July 3 Philmont If you have signed up for Philmont, the first and second payments are due now. We still do have room so if you are at all interested, please sign up or contact me or Mr. Riley. Philmont is one of the premier scouting events of any scout’s career. All of the scouts and adults who went last time had an awesome time and highly recommend that everyone should take advantage of this opportunity. Troop 737 was VERY lucky to get a chance to go again so quickly. There is a very good chance that if you are 14 or older, you may not get another chance to go Philmont. If cost is an issue, please contact me and we will see what we can work out.
· Summer camps:
o July 6 – 12 Camp Dietler and Peaceful Valley Colorado
o July 19 – 27 Camp Island Park in Idaho