Weekly Post, December 8, 2013
Post date: Dec 9, 2013 1:29:40 AM
Hello Troop 737,
We had two great Troop events this weekend. The first was the adult brainstorming session. Tons of great ideas came up. We plan to organize this information and put it out for further comment. The most exciting thing about our meeting was the passion shown by all the participants to make our Troop better. Thanks to all the adults who gave their input.
The second event was Winter Camp Training. All the trainees, Scouts and adults left with new knowledge and excitement for winter camping. I look forward to seeing you on upcoming winter camping trips. Thank you to the 14 scout trainers who conducted this training. I especially want to thank Ryan Johnson. Ryan, a senior this year, has been teaching this program ever since he came into our Troop. Your leadership was greatly appreciated!
Thank you to Caroline Kline, and Allan McCabe for being the HALOs for both of these events. Their biggest responsibility was to provide all the food for all participants … it was great!!
Hey Scouts, remember in December we are raffling off the knife seen below. Make sure you come and earn your raffle tickets!
Monday night is the last night you can sign up for the Lock-in at Wulf Rec Center. Scouts and adults need to be signed up, including permission given by parents, by 7:45 so our treasurer can cut the check. We have to pay per participant so there can be no changes after this time. We need more adults to sign up for this event. The Rec center requires one adult for every 10 scouts. This is an easy way to help the Troop so come and have some fun with the Scouts. We don’t want to turn away scouts because we do not have enough adult participation!
Remember the last meeting in December is the Holiday party/game night and all Parents and Siblings are invited. Come celebrate the season with other scout families by playing board games and having a good time.
Here is a list of upcoming events:
· December 9 Troop Meeting 6:30 – 8pm Patrol Boxes Service patrol is the Sharks. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Each patrol will be responsible cleaning, taking inventory and restocking a patrol box. Adults, we need to do the same for the “Old Goat’s” Patrol box. This will be the last time you can sign up for the Lock-in.
· December 12 Assistant Scoutmaster and upcoming HALO’s meeting 6:30 pm ELC All adults are welcome. We will go over the upcoming activities. We will also be reviewing the information from the Brainstorming session and deciding on which ideas to act on now.
· December 12 Troop Committee meeting 7:15pm ELC All Adults are welcome. This is when the business of the Troop is discussed. There are quite a few open positions on the committee. Come see how you can help out.
· December 13 – 14 Lock-in at Wulf Rec Center This is one of our most popular events. The pool, gym and gymnastics room will be open. Thank to Mr. O’Connor for stepping up to HALO this event.
· December 16 Troop Meeting 6:30 – 8pm Holiday Party/Game night Service patrol is the Sharks. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. All parents and siblings are welcome. Come celebrate the season and have some fun playing board games.
· January 6 Patrol Leader’s Council. 6:30 – 8pm All scout leaders are expected to come and plan the next month’s activities. NOTE: This is a couple of days before school starts but the PLC thought it was a good idea to have our meeting.
Other important dates:
· March 23 – 29 Spring Break Arches Family Campout We have reserved a group site in Arches National Park. This is a tent only campground that will accommodate 35 campers.
· June 19 – July 3 Philmont If you have signed up for Philmont, the first and second payments are due now. We still do have room so if you are at all interested, please sign up or contact me or Mr. Riley. Philmont is one of the premier scouting events of any scout’s career. All of the scouts and adults who went last time had an awesome time and highly recommend that everyone should take advantage of this opportunity. Troop 737 was VERY lucky to get a chance to go again so quickly. There is a very good chance that if you are 14 or older, you may not get another chance to go Philmont. If cost is an issue, please contact me and we will see what we can work out.
· Probable dates for summer camps:
o July 6 – 12 Camp Dietler and Peaceful Valley Colorado
o July 19 – 27 Camp Island Park in Idaho