Weekly Post, April 13, 2014
Post date: Apr 13, 2014 11:56:50 PM
Hello Troop 737,
WOW! What a great campout! Despite today’s weather we had a fantastic time! We have a great set of new scouts and parents coming on board. Thank you to Bill Westfall, Angela Rinaldo and Mark Bly for HALOing (Head Adult Leader Organizer) for this event. We all also owe a great big thank you to Cary Hoffman for cooking the pig again. It was awesome!! He was also responsible for all the adult food. Seth Barber, our SPL (Senior Patrol Leader) for this outing, did an outstanding job!
On April 28, we are going to have our only Advancement night of the semester. This will only be to sign off completed merit badges or to complete the final requirements. I have solicited requests. The current list includes: Citizenship in the Community, Scouting Heritage, First Aid, and Snow Sports. To request another merit badge, please send me an email or add to the list at tomorrow night’s meeting.
Tomorrow night our topic is map and compass so please bring your compass.
This Wednesday is the Internet safety program. See below and Aaron Hansen’s emails.
This Friday is the Eagle Court of Honor for 4 of our recent Eagle scouts. See below.
Upcoming signup deadlines
Summer camp sign-ups are running behind. This is a not to be missed experience, where scouts can earn merit badges, learn scout skills, great fellowship with other scouts and have a great time. Sign up now and the earlier you pay the cheaper the fee. The in-state camp, Dietler at Peaceful Valley, is for first and second year scouts and all other scout who cannot go to Idaho. The date for this camp is July 6 – 12. Merit badge sign up is April 28th. We need to have our roster fairly well set so we can sign up for the appropriate merit badges. We are looking for an HALO (Head Adult Leader Organizer) for this trip.
Island Park Camp in Idaho is for third year and above scouts. The date for this camp is July 19 – 27. All the scouts who have gone to this camp in the past have loved it. The first scouts to sign up and pay will get to go. When we fill up we will not be able to take any more.
Here is a list of upcoming events:
April 14 Troop Meeting 6:30 – 8pm Map and Compass skills Service patrol is the Barracudas. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Scouts will learn basic map and compass skills. Bring your compass and a contour map if you have one. A group of older scouts will create an orienteering course that the troop will do next week.
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 Internet Safety Program 6:30pm to 8:00pm in the sanctuary of the Church of the Hills in Evergreen.
· Thanks to Aaron Hansen, we have invited the Internet Safety division of the Jefferson County DA’s office to give a presentation to the mountain area Scout groups. All parents and siblings in middle school or above are encouraged to attend
Friday, April 18, 2014 Eagle Court of Honor for Micah, Nick, Luke and Mitch 6pm Evergreen Memorial Barn in Marshdale. Come join in the celebration of these 4 Eagle scouts. This should be a lot of fun! RSVP to 303.842.2315 or firstname.lastname@example.org
April 21 Troop Meeting 6:30 – 8pm Orienteering Service patrol is the Barracudas. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Scouts will do an orienteering course and relay set up by older scouts. Balloon Battle
April 26, 2014 Scout Show Troop 737 - Outside Booth
· PLEASE SIGN UP NOW FOR A TIME SLOT(S) THAT WORK FOR YOU
· This year’s theme: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math
· Solar Smaco’s anyone?
· Scout Show official time: 10:00-4:00 but come when you can or stay all day; it is a blast!!
· Our typical schedule is to be at the National Western Complex by 9:00 for set up through cleanup and departure by 5:00
· Last year we had at least 10 Scouts and 6 adults and a lot of messy fun
· HALOS: Alan McCabe, Bill Westfall
April 28 Troop Meeting 6:30 – 8pm Advancement Service patrol is the New Scout 1 patrol. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. This will be a catchup night for all scouts who have new to be signed off on merit badges or who only have a few requirements left. Night at the Museum.
May 5 Troop Meeting 6:30 – 8pm Search and Rescue Dogs demonstration Service patrol is the New Scout 1 patorl. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Come see this very cool demonstration. Sharks and Minnows
May 10, 2014 Church Cleanup and Garage/Trailer reorganization 8:30am – 12 Help our Charter organization clean up the church grounds. Once we have that completed we will be reorganizing the Troop trailer and garage.
May 12 Troop Meeting 6:30 – 8pm Astronomy Service patrol is the New Scout 1patrol. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. Come learn how to identify constellations and do the paper work for Astronomy merit badge. Hopefully we can use our new knowledge at the Sand Dunes Campout. Crows and Cranes.
May 16 - 18 Sand Dunes Campout Come experience this incredible setting. More details to follow.
April 21 Troop Meeting 6:30 – 8pm Court of Honor Service patrol is the New Scouts 1 patrol. Please show up 15 minutes early to help set up. All scouts who have achieved a new rank or merit badges since our last Court of Honor will be recognized. All parents are encouraged to come, especially Mothers.
May 31, 2014 Day Rafting trip Details to follow.
· Other important dates: .
· June 19 – July 3 Philmont If you have signed up for Philmont, the first and second payments are due now. We still do have room so if you are at all interested, please sign up or contact me or Mr. Riley. Philmont is one of the premier scouting events of any scout’s career. All of the scouts and adults who went last time had an awesome time and highly recommend that everyone should take advantage of this opportunity. Troop 737 was VERY lucky to get a chance to go again so quickly. There is a very good chance that if you are 14 or older, you may not get another chance to go Philmont. If cost is an issue, please contact me and we will see what we can work out.
· Summer camps:
o July 6 – 12 Camp Dietler and Peaceful Valley Colorado
July 19 – 27 Camp Island Park in Idaho