Weekly Post - January 22, 2012
Post date: Jan 22, 2012 3:47:02 PM
Greetings to all at Troop 737! Monday is our first court of Honor this year and our adult volunteers are hard at work making sure we have everything completed in time. There are too many to list here, but I would guess that there are about six to eight adults and some scouts working on it over this weekend. I hope that all Troop 737 Scouts, families and scouters can attend. I can't give all the detail away, but we have a very special presentation to make so please come!!!!!
I would also like to direct everyone's attention to the bottom of this email. I have added information about Wood Badge training in April, and of course we have the ever present Bighorn NYLT.
It is troop policy to have all of our senior patrol leaders and assistants Bighorn trained. In addition to making you eligible for these positions, it is one of the best leadership trainings you can attend as youth. This can be used on your college applications, right next to your Eagle Scout!!!
If you are an adult leader, please consider the Wood Badge training being offered over two weekends in April. I have always been reluctant to go because it would cut into an already limited number of vacation days that I get in a year. However, this one is different, it will require two Fridays and the weekends, only! I am strongly considering it this year. The leader of this training is one of the finest local scouters I know, Greg Lure. Further, the troop pays for some of this training after successful completion.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
The service patrol for January will be the Titans!! All members of the Titans Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 to help set up for the meeting.
Past and Current Activities
Mystery Campout; Well here I am, 11:20 on Saturday, writing this from the APEX center, so this part of the Mystery Campout is no longer a mystery. The scouts, Mr. Akins and Mr. Stalter are downstairs in the pool area and I am sitting at a table looking at them from the lobby. Mr. Baldwin was kind enough to help us drive today so we had enough seats in the cars. Mr. Wood and Mrs. Baldwin will again help with the driving when we depart for one more mystery today, and at the end of the day when we head back to the church. So far the Mystery Campout is a success! Last evening, we spent about four plus hours at Fun City, or whatever it's call now a days. I was in bed long, long after my bedtime, but awoke in time to do some minor helping in the kitchen. Mr. Askins and Mr. Stalter again were hard at work cooking a fine and huge breakfast.
Please join me in thanking Mr. Askins, the HALO for setting this all up and doing all the hard work so I can sit on my can and type. Also, Mr. Stalter, for sleeping over and driving with us, Mr. Wood for driving last evening and later today, and Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin for driving this morning and later today, both very last minute.
Upcoming Activities and Sign up & Payment Deadlines:
Court of Honor - January 23, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Mrs. Furman
· MC's: Graham Peterson & Trevor Roche
· Theme: Pirates, arrrrrrrr maties! I see that my suggestion that we come dressed as pirates, complete with neckerchiefs on your head is taking off. Let's see some "Theme Spirit", pun intended.
· We will be making some changes to future Courts of Honor starting with this one. Please come, support your scouts, and see what our changes look like.
· A word about the food at the court of honor. The PLC has decided three things about the food;
1. Food at the court of honors is a snack, so eat dinner before you come.
2. The Patrols need to be more accountable for the amount of food they bring. Patrols that do not bring the assigned amount of food will go to the end of the food line.
3. Scouts take too much food first time through the line. Mrs. Furman will be on the food line to monitor the situation. Please take a modest amount of food as a snack so that everyone gets some.
Advancement Troop Meeting - January 30, 2012:
· Merit Badge and TTFC Scouting Skills time
· Steel the Bacon!
Semi Annual Planning Meeting - February 4, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Kim & Mark Freeman
· Details and theme to be worked out at the PLC.
Scout Sunday - February 5, 2012 at ELC or your own Family's church.
This is a nationally recognized day for scout recognition at churches across the country. I would like to invite all scouts to attend church service on this Sunday morning in very clean Class A uniforms. If you do not have a church that you regularly attend, please attend church services at ELC, they would love to have you and see you in your uniform.
NEW FOR ALL OA MEMBERS!!! Tahosa Lodge OA Banquet - February 4, 2012:
· Where: PPA Event Center-just a few blocks North of Sports Authority Field at Mile High
· Time: Starting at 5:30 PM
· Video: http://youtu.be/x34f-EP65oo
· Details & Registration: http://www.tahosalodge.org/registration/calendardetail.asp?ActivityKey=1066742
Troop Meeting - OA Elections and Callout - February 6, 2012:
· HALO: Mr. Johnson
· OA Presentation and Election
· Fencing Presentation
· Callout Ceremony
Timberline District Klondike - February 24 - 26, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Mr. Riley
· We need to have signups for Klondike as soon as possible as we have to begin registering this week.
Troop Elections - March 5, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Becky Roche
· Details and theme to be worked out at the SM & ASM & HALO for Upcoming Events Meetings.
Peaceful Valley Summer Camp; July 08 to 14, 2012:
· HALOs: Steve Stalter and Allan McCabe
· The Signup and Payment Deadlines are rapidly approaching. The HALOs will be getting the registration login information soon and shortly after that will begin inputting names. Registration for Merit Badges is still a few months away, but you want to have your name entered so that on the day registration opens, the HALOs will be able to sign you up for your first choices.
· Cost: The fee for each scout for summer camp is $250. A$30 deposit is required for each scout to put their names in and we can register scouts on the Peaceful Valley Web Site as we get the deposit. The payment schedule is as follows:
o As soon as possible, a $30 deposit. We will register scouts by name as soon as we get this deposit
o March 5th, 30% including the $30 deposit.
o April 2nd,the next 30%
o May 7th, the final 30%
o The fee for the adults still needs to be determined by the number going. We get the first two slots for free, so we have some options.
District and Council News and Upcoming Activities:
2012 Big Horn Information: Summer 2012 dates are posted. If you are interested, more information will posted as it comes out. This training is required for all Scouts desiring to hold the Senior Patrol leader position.
Wood Badge Training - This course is offered in two parts. You must attend both weekends. Friday-Sunday April 13-15, 2012 and April 27-29, 2012.
Please go to this link for more details and registration information: http://www.timberlinedistrict.com/registration/calendardetail.asp?ActivityKey=1045319.
As always, please read the troop web site, especially the calendar, for the most current information on all upcoming and scheduled events.