Weekly Post - January 15, 2012
Post date: Jan 15, 2012 5:45:06 PM
Greetings to all at Troop 737! It is about time to start our first meetings of 2012. We had two very successful planning meetings in the last week. As a result, I have updated the calendar with new information and changes. Please keep an eye on it for the most current information available as I am always updating it as information comes to me.
Please read below for details on upcoming events, and always stay current with our Troop Calendar on the web site. This is the best way to have the most current information.
The service patrol for January will be the Titans!! All members of the Titans Patrol should be inside our meeting room no later than 6:15 to help set up for the meeting.
Past and Current Activities
PLC - Last Monday:
The PLC met on Monday last week and has planned meetings into February. They have discussed two items of major importance; Trail to First Class (TTFC) for first year scouts, and physical activity at every meeting.
For Trail to First Class, we will be concentrating on getting first year scouts up to their First Class Rank before the end of this school year. We will be having a skills session mostly every meeting. Further, scouts that are not First Class yet will not be allowed to sign up for new merit badges until they are much closer to finishing First Class. If you are almost done, and want to take some merit badges, please see Mr. Hoffman for special permission, you will need to show me your book. If you started Robotics, you will be allowed to finish that on advancement nights.
The second change you will see is that we will now be starting some type of physical activity for 20 or 30 minutes at the end of each meeting. Your PLC has planned some fun activities to end meetings.
SM & ASM & HALOs for Upcoming Events Meeting/Committee Meeting - Last Thursday:
I would really like to thank all of the adults that attended these meetings. We had a great turnout and as a result, we accomplished more at this meeting than I can remember in recent past meetings. This is the way to run the troop, and I would like to continue to ask parents to participate by attending and helping in any way they feel comfortable and can.
Upcoming Activities and Sign up & Payment Deadlines:
First Regular Troop Meeting of 2012 - January 16, 2012:
· Signup for Advancement Merit Badges:
o Citizenship in the Community
o Personal Management
o TTFC (Trail to First Class)
· Food planning for the Court of Honor
· Campout & Activities - signup
· Scout Skills: Knots & Lashings or other TTFC requirements as Mr. Catterson sees we need to get done.
· Teamwork Exercises
· Balloon Volleyball
Mystery Campout; January 20 to 22, 2012:
· HALOs: Mike and Shelly Askins
· Signup Deadline: 01/16/2012
· Here are the latest details from our HALO:
o START TIME: 6pm Friday evening 1/20/12 at ELC. Please feed your scout before arriving at the church as no meal will be served until Saturday at breakfast.
o COST: $40.00 (This includes about $38 worth of activities …plus breakfast and lunch on Saturday)
o END: Please pick up your scout at 6:00pm on Saturday night 1/21/12 at ELC
§ Sleeping items for Friday evening at ELC (cot, sleeping bag, personal items, etc)
§ Outdoor winter clothing (hats, boots, gloves, coats, etc)
§ Swimming suit
§ Tennis shoes (call me if you have any questions 303-670-4590)
Court of Honor - January 23, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Mrs. Furman
· Theme: Pirates, arrrrrrrr maties!
· We will be making some changes to future Courts of Honor starting with this one. Please come, support your scouts, and see what our changes look like.
Advancement Troop Meeting - January 30, 2012:
· Merit Badge and TTFC Scouting Skills time
· Steel the Bacon!
Semi Annual Planning Meeting - February 4, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Kim & Mark Freeman
· Details and theme to be worked out at the PLC.
NEW FOR ALL OA MEMBERS!!! Tahosa Lodge OA Banquet - February 4, 2012:
· Where: PPA Event Center-just a few blocks North of Sports Authority Field at Mile High
· Time: Starting at 5:30 PM
· Video: http://youtu.be/x34f-EP65oo
· Details & Registration: http://www.tahosalodge.org/registration/calendardetail.asp?ActivityKey=1066742
Troop Meeting - OA Elections and Callout - February 6, 2012:
· HALO: Mr. Johnson
· OA Presentation and Election
· Fencing Presentation
· Callout Ceremony
Timberline District Klondike - February 24 - 26, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Mr. Riley
· We need to have signups for Klondike as soon as possible as we have to begin registering this week.
Troop Elections - February 27 or March 5, 2012 at ELC:
· HALO: Becky Roche
· Details and theme to be worked out at the SM & ASM & HALO for Upcoming Events Meetings.
Peaceful Valley Summer Camp; July 08 to 14, 2012:
· HALOs: Steve Stelter and Allan McCabe
· The Signup and Payment Deadlines are rapidly approaching. The HALOs will be getting the registration login information soon and shortly after that will begin inputting names. Registration for Merit Badges is still a few months away, but you want to have your name entered so that on the day registration opens, the HALOs will be able to sign you up for your first choices.
· Cost: The fee for each scout for summer camp is $250. A$30 deposit is required for each scout to put their names in and we can register scouts on the Peaceful Valley Web Site as we get the deposit. The payment schedule is as follows:
o As soon as possible, a $30 deposit. We will register scouts by name as soon as we get this deposit
o March 5th, 30% including the $30 deposit.
o April 2nd,the next 30%
o May 7th, the final 30%
o The fee for the adults still needs to be determined by the number going. We get the first two slots for free, so we have some options.
District and Council News and Upcoming Activities:
2012 Big Horn Information: Summer 2012 dates are posted. If you are interested, more information will posted as it comes out. This training is required for all Scouts desiring to hold the Senior Patrol leader position.
As always, please read the troop web site, especially the calendar, for the most current information on all upcoming and scheduled events.