Weekly Post - January 1, 2012
Post date: Jan 1, 2012 4:47:59 PM
Happy New Year to all at Troop 737! We have a lot going on as we start 2012. We are going to start January with a rush as we take on some planning activities at the PLC on Monday the 9th, and the ASM/Committee meeting on Thursday the 12th. Okpik starts on Friday this week, our first meeting is on Monday the 16th and Mystery Campout is on Friday the 20th. More details on each of these to follow this introduction.
URGENT: Cubscout Pack 50 has invited our troop to participate in a flag retirement ceremony next Saturday, January 7th, at 10:00 AM at the Evergreen Fire Department Station #2 in Bergen Park. I am planning on attending and I'm asking all scouts and scouters to join me for this event that will also be attended by the VFW, American Legion and the Evergreen Fire Department. This is a great chance to get out and support your community and server your country. I will check with the committee to see if we can count this toward service hours for rank advancement. Please RSVP if you can make it to this event and for scouters and parents, if you can drive or not. I will also need to know the total number of seat belts in your vehicle. I hope to see you there.
We will meet at the church at 9:15, gather our troop flags and one or two flags to retire, and carpool to Bergen Park. I am not really sure what time we will be done, but I will get more information this week and send out an update.
The service patrol for January will be determined at the PLC on the 9th.
Upcoming Activities and Sign up & Payment Deadlines:
Okpik - January 6 -8, 2012: Mr. Trower and the crew are all set for this outing. If you are going to Okpik, you should already have all the details. Good luck and have some great fun!!
Cubscout Pack 50 Flag Retirement Ceremony - January 7th, 2012 at 9:15 AM at ELC to travel to Bergen Park Fire Station #2: See above, in red, for details. Please don't forget to RSVP. We meet at the ELC church at 09:15 and will depart for Bergen Park no later than 09:30, so don't be late! The uniform for this event is full Class A, make it shine!
PLC Meeting - January 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM at ELC: The PLC needs to start planning for the first month or two of 2012. Please be on time, in your Class A uniform and be ready to jump right into the planning activities for 2012. HALOs for all upcoming events between now and the next PLC are strongly encouraged to attend so you can help the PLC plan, and they can help you! Mrs. Anderson; we will also be discussing advancement.
ASM & Committee Meeting - January 12, 2012 at 6:30 at ELC: We would like to start off the new year with as much parent participation as possible. There is a lot to talk about and plan for the new year:
- For the ASM meeting starting at 6:30 PM: Need to discuss upcoming events with HALOs. If you are a HALO for any events listed below in this section, please attend so we can get you off to a good start planning for your activities. We can also get you all sorts of help if you need it.
- For the committee meeting starting at 7:00 PM: We need to discuss planning for Summer Camp and help our new Quartermaster get off to a good start. Thank you to Patrick Winters for volunteering for this very important job. We will also discuss our regular topics including; finances, advancement meetings, summer camp, etc.
If you have never been to one of these meetings, please come by and see what we do and give us your ideas!
First Regular Troop Meeting of 2012 - January 16, 2012: Details will be planned by the PLC on January 9th, please stand by.
Mystery Campout; January 20 to 22, 2012:
- HALOs: Mike and Shelly Askins
- Signup Deadline: 01/16/2012
- The cost and details are still being worked out, but this one is a whole lot of fun. For scouts, you just show up to be whisked away on a weekend of adventure around the Denver Metro Area. Sign up soon.
Court of Honor - January 23, 2012 at ELC:
- HALO: Mrs. Furman - we would like to request that she attend the PLC and the ASM meetings.
- Details and theme to be worked out at the PLC.
Regular Troop Meeting - January 30, 2012: Details will be planned by the PLC on January 9th, please stand by.
Semi Annual Planning Meeting - February 4, 2012 at ELC:
- HALO: Kim & Mark Freeman
- Details and theme to be worked out at the PLC.
Peaceful Valley Summer Camp; July 08 to 14, 2012:
- HALOs: Steve Stalter and Allan McCabe
- Signup and Payment Deadline is rapidly approaching
- While we do not have an exact deadline, the merit badge registration opens in about February and we need to have names and deposits in order register scouts for the badges they need and want. The most popular badges fill up quickly, so if you want to shoot, or something similar, we need you to sign up and put your deposit in ASAP. The fee for each scout for summer camp is $250. A$30 deposit is required for each scout to put their names in and we can register scouts on the Peaceful Valley Web Site as we get the deposit. The payment schedule is as follows:
- As soon as possible, a $30 deposit. We will register scouts by name as soon as we get this deposit
- March 5th, 30% including the $30 deposit.
- April 2nd,the next 30%
- May 7th, the final 30%
- The fee for the adults still needs to be determined by the number going. We get the first two slots for free, so we have some options.
District and Council News and Upcoming Activities:
2012 Big Horn Information: Summer 2012 dates are posted. If you are interested, more information will posted as it comes out. This training is required for all Scouts desiring to hold the Senior Patrol leader position.
As always, please read the troop web site, especially the calendar, for the most current information on all upcoming and scheduled events.